Recovery of a bricked BCM57810 Dual RJ45 card

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Stonent

Dec 16, 2016
TX
During some troubleshooting of one of our systems at work, we applied driver and firmware updates to our Dell R530 server. One of the items updated was the Dual BCM57810 10G card. After the firmware update, the card was no longer visible in the iDrac, or in the inventory in Dell Open Manage. On the server, the card was completely missing from device manager. Moving it from slot to slot did nothing. We did a remote session with Dell and they were unable to recover from the bricking, so they overnighted us a new card. To my surprise the paperwork said the old card did not have to be returned.

On a whim, I installed the card in a Windows 10 PC and the card shows up under system devices with
QLogic BCM57810 EMUL/FPGA #55
and
QLogic BCM57810 EMUL/FPGA #56

and Device Cannot Start Code 10.

Now I know the card is not in any kind of normal mode because it did not have the EMUL/FPGA on the name of the card before. (I think we went from V14.x to V15.x firmware) and the Dell rep on the phone said she had another identical card die in the same manner.

So I tried the V7.x, V14.x and V15.x firmware utilities from Dell and all of them said the card was not detected.
I also downloaded a Lenovo firmware and got the same thing, card couldn't be detected.

Now it's not critical that I personally recover this card as it was replaced under warranty, but if bricking is common, I wondered if there was a back-door way to get the card unbricked.

Attachments

tstrand

Jun 7, 2021
I just ran into this problem today. Same problem. Two bricked cards.
From what I have been able to find out is that if you try to flash to new firmware straight away it will brick the card.
But if you go for example to 15.05.12 then 15.20.13 and finally 15.35.06 it works.

Now i'm sitting here with two paperweights and that makes me sad.