Recovering LSI 9260-8 array using an IBM 5015

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Edomello

Jan 29, 2017
Hello

I'm looking for advice because I'm having a lot of troubles with my LSI card, so I would like to describe in detail what happened.

I was running a configuration composed by 3 single disks/ssd and one RAID5 Array of 3x1TB HDDs on my LSI 9260-8i. One day it just suddenly stopped working (on the last reboot it showed "flash memory gone bad", from that moment onward it can’t even load the bios and just freezes after the LSI Copyright title).

I tried to contact the reseller for a replacement, but I would have to pay an EU-US shipment and back again in order to have a replacement (I'm not even sure they would replace it since it seems like an overheating problem even though I always used 3 dedicated fan for cooling the card) so I decided to buy a cheaper rebrand of the same card, just for recovering my data (I was planning a backup during the holidays but the card stopped working just before it - it lasted only 3 months).

In the meanwhile I transferred the single disks on another machine with a generic SATA controller (they worked with any hassle, but I had to format one of them for another reason) and the RAID has been kept disconnected (thus never accessed) until now.

The IBM 5015 arrived, and the reseller assured me that there would have been no problems in importing the foreign configuration since the chip was the same, and here comes the problem: the card finds the foreign configuration, but it cannot recover it. It just shows "Error Reading Foreign Configuration" and no disks are imported.

I tried to access the raid card with MSM and load the foreign configuration from there, but it says that the disk configuration is not complete (or that not all the disks belonging to the foreign configuration are present). I tried putting back the single disks but nothing changed: the 3 disks belonging to the raid array and 2 of the 3 single disks are "(foreign) Unconfigured Good", while the one I formatted is just unconfigured good.

The data I need to recover is into the RAID5 array that have been left untouched since the previous card stopped working, so I don't understand why it couldn't read the foreign configuration. I tried searching the web for a similar issue but it seems that no one ever had a problem in importing a foreign configuration.

I guess that the current firmware is the same of the broken card (the FW version is the same, although I tried to flash the LSI version again via MSM and it succeeded, but the BIOS is still painfully slow to load).

I wonder if it is possible to show or edit this foreign configuration by checking where the problem is. Meanwhile I'm going to buy a larger disk where to backup the images of the disks belonging to the raid5, attaching them directly to the mainboard sata controller.

I hope someone has a clue on what is going on.

Thanks in advance