Recommended UPS for Home Server(s)?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Is your syntax correct on the arp and ping? You're using windows right? The mac should be with - instead of :
I did it from Mac and Linux. Mac (on different subnet) gave error "cannot intuit interface index and type for 192.168.33.55"
But Linux command on same subnet executed fine without error.
However, ping command hangs and when I stop with Ctrl-C - it says "X packets sent, zero received" or something like that.

I think my step one(when I get back to office) will be to read MAC from a sticker to make sure this is it. And then I will proceed. But reading manual it does look like unit is not set because it switches DHCP/BOOTP and lights flashing similar to what explained.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
arp -s {local subnet ip address to create a route for} {MAC address of PDU/ UPS}

For Linux/ Windows:

ping {local subnet ip address you want to assign} -l 113

For Mac:

ping -s 113 {local subnet ip address you want to assign}

telnet {local subnet IP address you just assigned}

If you're using a windows machine, you could also use netsh add neighbors command to achieve the same thing, also if you don't have the device MAC address or the labels have fallen off/ been removed/ lost, you can always use tcpdump/ wireshark etc to find it. Just power cycle the PDU/ UPS connected to an un-managed hub and watch the traffic, it will usually pop up a few requests etc. Obviously you have to allow whatever you are using, ping, telnet etc through any firewalls you have running. The easiest way is just to stick a direct cable between your machine and the hub/ device under test and disable any firewall running temporarily :)

katit

Mar 18, 2015
This is what I see from Linux machine on same network:

root@ubuntu-server:/home/katit# arp -s 192.168.33.55 00:C0:B7:6A:0D:76

root@ubuntu-server:/home/katit# ping 192.168.33.55 -l 113

PING 192.168.33.55 (192.168.33.55) 56(84) bytes of data.

^C

--- 192.168.33.55 ping statistics ---

30 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 21984ms

root@ubuntu-server:/home/katit# telnet 192.168.33.55

Trying 192.168.33.55...

aero

Apr 27, 2016
Have you tried the other configuration methods detailed in the manual?

katit

Mar 18, 2015
I'm not sure what should I do? Ok. I did turn on logging on DHCP(Mikrotik) and now I'm 99% sure this is UPS's MAC - because it says "APC". So, now I know MAC. Good.

I did enable DHCP option 43 in Mikrotik and 99% sure it is correct because I was doing the same a week ago for IP phones so configuring DHCP option is not a problem..

But I still see this MAC on/off on DHCP lease list. And I still can't do ARP command routine. And it still doesn't work via WWW. What is the next step after configuring DHCP option?

Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 1.52.24 PM.png

aero

Apr 27, 2016
You shouldn't have to do anything else...create a reservation with the desired IP address, and include the settings for option 43, and the management card should pull the IP address from your dhcp. You should then be able to telnet and access via http.

Reactions: katit

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Ok! There is some progress.. I did set Mikrotik router to assign x.x.33.3 to UPS every time.
I was able to TELNET into device with apc/apc
According to what I see it's pretty old from 2003

But http does not work still.. if I go to http://192.168.33.3 - nothing happens. Page just times out.
And in telnet session - nothing really to configure.

aero

Apr 27, 2016
Did you make sure web access is enabled in the console menu? Menu item "2 - Network" You should be able to enable/disable and set port.

Everything you can do and see in the web gui is available somewhere via the console menus.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Yes! I'm in now. I disabled DHCP option requirement. For some reason TCP/IP wasn't starting for a while - hence no WWW. No I restarted via telnet, waited and all is well!

Now to figuring on how to update firmware and set it all up!

Thanks a lot guys!!

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Ok! There is some progress.. I did set Mikrotik router to assign x.x.33.3 to UPS every time.
I was able to TELNET into device with apc/apc
According to what I see it's pretty old from 2003

But http does not work still.. if I go to http://192.168.33.3 - nothing happens. Page just times out.
And in telnet session - nothing really to configure.
Not a lot changed in a decade ;). Really it's 'is it on battery or main power', 'how much battery is left and how fast is it going' and 'should I tell someone'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: artbird309

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Does anyone know how to enable Powerchute Network Shutdown (PCNS) to have the right permissions to trigger the command file that begins the shutdown process via vMa 6 in a free ESXi configuration?

My shutdown script works fine when I trigger it in vMa, but its gettting permission errors when I try to activate it via the command file on the PCNS interface. the cmdfile.log and error.log shows "permission denied".

APC has be unhelpful to say the least - just quotes that it will "not support free ESXi hypervisors"

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
A lot of the API's aren't present in the free ESXi. If you can certainly go with essentials on subscription or VMUG Advantage and EVALexperience.

That said, when I have done UPS scripting I have not used the vMA - I've always used powerCLI. If you have difficulty with the very last bit of shutting down ESXi - just don't. As long as all the VM's are off and there are no writes to the dstastore, it can hard shut down if need be. It'll just boot from your USB stick when power comes back as there were no writes on crash to corrupt it.

I know that's 'dirty', but it works if you don't have an off host machine to send the commands from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks for the reply Netwise. Can you advise how you automate the shutdown with powerCLi, especially to utilise the network card(AP9617) I bought for the SUA 1000?