Recommended UPS for Home Server(s)?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Sorry, I tested it on my supermIcro motherboard. I'm not sure what # you have or if we have the same, I was just letting you know that it in fact does work :)

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
Fair enough. Mine's the SuperMicro X10SL7. I just received an HX1050, which is overkill for this application, but at least it's reasonably current (it's even 100% compatible with Haswell).

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I tested on a : Super Micro X9DRH7- 7TF-0

All of my PSU are haswell compliant, though I'm not sure that matters.
*NOTE* Compliant != certified, some PSU are actually certified for haswell others are just "compliant". Not sure it matters, but something to keep in mind.

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Yeah might be the PSU. I normally use IPMI but was curious so i tried it. On my X10SLM+-F , set to Always ON and it worked fine. Shutdown, pull plug, wait a few seconds, plug it back in, powers on imeediately. So that one is working as expected. PSU is a Antec Earthwatts EA-380D (2U Norco Cases, best PSU with front to back airflow for them imo!)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Yeah might be the PSU. I normally use IPMI but was curious so i tried it. On my X10SLM+-F , set to Always ON and it worked fine. Shutdown, pull plug, wait a few seconds, plug it back in, powers on imeediately. So that one is working as expected. PSU is a Antec Earthwatts EA-380D (2U Norco Cases, best PSU with front to back airflow for them imo!)
I have those PSUs too, (Not what I tested with) and they're great for the $.
Recently I found some SeaSonic 2U 4xx watt PSU that I plan to try next, they are 2x the $$$ ANTEC's though, but on ebay only 10-20$ more. May be worth checking out.

1 of my SM motherboards with "power on" when I "shut down" in windows it turns off completely then 2 seconds later turns itself back on. Maybe a motherboard firmware issue, or maybe a PSU issue... dunno but thought it was funny.

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
SOLVED: I upgraded the power supply to the HX1050, and it solved the problem. Now if I pull the plug after shutting down, when I plug the PC back in it powers up automatically. So, it appears the bios and the HX1050 are having communication that my less modern power supply just wasn't having. The HX1050 is behaving like a fanless PSU, because my server's total power draw is below the threshold that turns on its fan.

Also, today I finally received the UPS (PR750LCD). I'm charging it now, and tomorrow I'll try to see if it can control when the server powers-up after a power outage (as discussed earlier in this thread).

Last edited:

katit

Mar 18, 2015
The ones I picked up were:
APC UPS: 1440VA 120V SUA1500RM2U.
Thanks for that! I picked up one just now. $150 shipped to my house with batteries :)

Have some questions on small things:
1. Can you confirm P/N for rails? It has ears but I don't think I can hand it on just those mounting ears :)
Cheapest rails on eBay is those: NEW OM-756H 0M-756H APC Smart-UPS Rail Kit Sliding Rails

But I'm not sure what is correct P/N..

2. Also, I googled on how to shutdown multiple servers with it and came up with accessory network card PN: AP9617
Those are <$20 on eBay. I assume it's a correct part? Looks like, do I need software or it's Web based and all drivers already in Windows servers?

3. FAN. Right now it's charging (4 lights on already, came with 3). And fan is ON. But will it stop when charged? I need to do something with noise. If it's ON only during charging - I'm fine with it. If it's ON all the time - maybe some resistor or replacement quiet fan ?

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
The ap9617 should work fine if to listed as compatible for your machine. It uses a weird console cable if I recall. You can set the IP via DHCP, but unlike every other device on the planet you need to add some custom DHCP options to make it come up.

PCNS or powerchute for network servers is what want for software. I think the basic one is free but only does a handful of machines. I've never let it tell everything to shut down anyway - I point at a management system (usually vCenter) and then let that use powershell/expect/etc do the triggered shutdown orchestration once it gets a signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katit

Mar 18, 2015
The ap9617 should work fine if to listed as compatible for your machine. It uses a weird console cable if I recall. You can set the IP via DHCP, but unlike every other device on the planet you need to add some custom DHCP options to make it come up.

PCNS or powerchute for network servers is what want for software. I think the basic one is free but only does a handful of machines. I've never let it tell everything to shut down anyway - I point at a management system (usually vCenter) and then let that use powershell/expect/etc do the triggered shutdown orchestration once it gets a signal.
I already ordered it, so will see. Of course I was hoping for nice Web GUI :) Like 1-2-3. Go to my router, find IP, go to IP - setup. But looks like it's not the case? And what is "weird console cable"? Hopefully I won't need anything except for this card?

Yes, I started to read manual from APC site and it looks like I will need to setup special DHCP option on my router. Which is OK, but weird..

I will need to control 2x Windows 2012 R2 servers. They will shut down and VMs will shut down as well. I guess that SHOULD work? Only reason I'm getting this card is to have network shutdown for >1 server. Otherwise I would just use USB. I don't need much more. Just shutdown when power level goes <50% or so. My servers will startup when power connects back, so hopefully this is all I will need..

aero

Apr 27, 2016
The web GUI is decent. You shouldn't need to use the console cable. You will need the powerchute software, and it will communicate via TCP with the UPS management card.

artbird309

Feb 19, 2013
Yeah my dad has a one of the ap9619 cards which is basically the same just has sensors inputs and it was a pain to get reset and change the IP as it wasn't factory reset when we got it. If it is factory reset when you get it is much simpler I think just that DHCP option to have it take the lease. But I can't be 100% without looking into it again as it's been a few years.

As for the windows server shutdown it is simpler once you get access to the card and configure it. Just have to install the network shutdown client on all the servers you have and connect it to management card.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

aero

Apr 27, 2016
I recommend the arp + ping method of setting a static IP on the management card rather than messing with the DHCP options.

Reactions: NetWise

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Guys, need your help of this.. I got card in, I see lights flashing. But Powerchute software does not see anything. I guess I need to reset and configure it, but have no clue where to start. Any pointers?

1. I don't have any cables, just LAN connection
2. I do see this in my Mikrotik log: "DHCP server: unknown BOOTP client 00:C0:B7:6A:0D:76"

katit

Mar 18, 2015
edit: and as I previously mentioned, my preferred method of configuring access is on page 15 of the install guide
Yes, it does look simple and a good way. But I first need to reset this device somehow? Log from router that I mentioned has this MAC on and off the list. And there is no host name on it. I'm just guessing it's correct MAC address. I don't have packing slip, is MAC somewhere on a board itself?

I afraid I need to reset device and will need serial cable for that??? What is "reset" pinhole on s back panel?

Anyway, doing ARP command succeeds. But Ping does not return anything and telnet does not work either.

Device shows up (if this is correct device!) at 192.168.33.101

I run:

arp -s 192.168.33.55 00:C0:B7:6A:0D:76
ping 192.168.33.55 -l 113

and try to telnet. Does not work..

aero

Apr 27, 2016
The MAC address should be on a sticker on the mgmt card board somewhere.

Try pushing a paper clip in the reset pinhole on the management card. Hold that in for a couple seconds and release. Wait a minute then retry the procedure for setting IP and telnet.

Is your syntax correct on the arp and ping? You're using windows right? The mac should be with - instead of :

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I -never- had success with the ARP method. Tried and tried and saw the same thing you are. Couldn't ping telnet ssh or http. Not until I set that option and did it as per the docs.

It's the only way I've ever had success ;(.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk