Recommended UPS for Home Server(s)?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IaaS

Feb 15, 2015
Either I'm misunderstanding, or it just doesn't work as needed on my motherboard (SuperMicro X10SL7-F). I changed the BIOS setting "Restore on AC Power Loss" to be "Power On":
That's a firmware issue if the board does not power back on after physically cycling power (regardless of the previous power state of the board) while that option is set to "Power On". Have you tested it a few times? Maybe a low-level feature like that requires at least one full power cycle before it takes effect? The behavior you described is what happens when that BIOS option is set to "Last State".

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Worst case you could always go the WoL or IPMI route via a script. But yes that sounds like a BIOS bug. On should mean turn on as soon as the PSU receives power (bypass the Front panel switch).

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Oh and speaking of NUT (which is awesome). This is one of those perfect things to run on a Raspberry Pi . Can be the last thing running on your network and handle all the startup/shutdown stuff you require and with a battery bank (or one of the only things running on your UPS at the end) you can keep it running for the better part of a day waiting for the power to come back up.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
What's a "NUT" ?

I'm using a NUC as my 'last' shut down item to handle shutdowns on systems without other options, as well as my "entrance" into that vlan remotely.

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
Worst case you could always go the WoL or IPMI route via a script. But yes that sounds like a BIOS bug. On should mean turn on as soon as the PSU receives power (bypass the Front panel switch).
Yup. I would imagine Wake-on-LAN would be the easier of the two to implement.

I'm predisposed to pursue a mainstream solution, but maybe there isn't one: I'm beginning to get the sense that few, if any, people here are automatically waking up their servers after a power outage.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011

I'm predisposed to pursue a mainstream solution, but maybe there isn't one: I'm beginning to get the sense that few, if any, people here are automatically waking up their servers after a power outage.
My equipment at home is not UPS protected at all, but all my BIOS's are configured to turn on after an outage.

As for WoL VS IPMI - well WoL will work on just about every system out there with onboard NICs (or add-in cards if you connect the extra WoL cable), while IPMI obviously will only work on server MB's with IPMI. But IPMI will work on everything that supports it, while WoL is poorly supported and the magic packet cannot cross a router/subnet. If your hardware can do IPMI, then it is the better option.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015

Hmm, because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's not working for others ;)

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Indeed ;) The IPMI approach is definitely the far more reliable method and dead simple to use. All it takes is a one liner in a script (ipmipower)...

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
If anyone is Northern CA area or drives to Sacramento I may unload 1 or 2 of the APC units with new batteries, and the card in it. I think I have too many :)

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
If anyone is Northern CA area or drives to Sacramento I may unload 1 or 2 of the APC units with new batteries, and the card in it. I think I have too many :)
I wish I could take you up on the offer, but I'm quite a ways farther north than the northernmost part of CA... far enough that I use the same two letters for my country code :)

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Sad thing is it might be cheaper to drive to CA then it would be to ship. Shipping goes through the roof the second you cross the border :(

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
If it was summer I might call it a good excuse for a trip and ride the motorcycle down. Wouldn't be the first time I've rode to California. I've done it in a car too, but that was way more boring.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Sad thing is it might be cheaper to drive to CA then it would be to ship. Shipping goes through the roof the second you cross the border :(
You're not joking. I sold something to CA and didn't realize it until I went to ship... cost about 50% more!

USPS Priority to EAST COAST from CALIFORNIA flat rate $18, same size box, not flate rate $24... lOL

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
That's a firmware issue if the board does not power back on after physically cycling power (regardless of the previous power state of the board) while that option is set to "Power On". Have you tested it a few times? Maybe a low-level feature like that requires at least one full power cycle before it takes effect? The behavior you described is what happens when that BIOS option is set to "Last State".
I've tried it a couple times now, including unplugging it from the wall. Same result. Might it have something to do with the power supply? I've been testing using a Corsair HX520W, which is circa 2007. It's still in good working order, but it's not exactly modern.

i.e. Is it the MB noticing the power failure, or is it the power supply noticing the power failure and then telling the board or ....? I can imagine different ways it might have been implemented.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I tested mine this morning, it def starts back up when you have it set to "POWER ON" after AC failure.

It could be the PSU not knowing to "turn on" when the signal is sent, possibly ?

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
I tested mine this morning, it def starts back up when you have it set to "POWER ON" after AC failure.

It could be the PSU not knowing to "turn on" when the signal is sent, possibly ?
When you say "I tested mine", are you referring to the same model motherboard, or a different one?