Recommended Storage Spaces Cache Disk (nvme m2)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
I'm looking for a MS supported cache disk(s) that has both PLP and supported/tested with Storage spaces?

I understand models like the Samsung PM953 are not validated by MS and not show up as power loss compatible.

Any wisdom from the Storage spaces gurus out here?

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
Okay I'll update this thread, according to Microsoft the cache layer should have at least 3 DWPD so that rules out all of the M2 drives that I've found so I may have to change my approach.

gopherman

Aug 6, 2020
Okay I'll update this thread, according to Microsoft the cache layer should have at least 3 DWPD so that rules out all of the M2 drives that I've found so I may have to change my approach.
I think it depends on your use case. Microsoft's official documentation is going to be based on high-end scenarios where your dealing with enterprise databases, busy application servers, etc. I've already received criticism in another thread for my choice to use Intel 660p which work just fine (and I think are like .1 DWPD) with Storage Spaces. Will they last very long? Long enough for me to get enough use out of them. With 8 being used as cache, I have 1.6 PB of endurance and doubt I'll ever exceed more than 100-200 GB of total writes in a day...sooo they'll last far longer than my servers will. Are they going to be super fast? No...but they beat most spinning rust. I mean...for me, it's a home lab running development workloads. Depending on what you're using yours for going with a lower end drive is probably fine. I've been using Storage Spaces for the past 4 years in my home lab and it's only using cheap consumer grade SSD for cache. I get decent performance over 10 Gb. Better than I need, quite frankly. If it was at work, no...I would not use consumer grade drives or really anything that deviates from Microsoft's supported hardware, but for the home, why not?

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Does storage spaces have actual caching now? Last I looked at it, there was just a nightly job that moved blocks from HDD to SSD...

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Caching or tiering?
(Caching: keeping a copy of data in a faster place. Tiering: holding data in a faster place)