Recommended self-hosted VPN software for smallest latency penalty

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

uldise

Jul 2, 2020
Hi,
i'm not sure, where to ask,
but i'm looking for suggestion of VPN software for smallest latency penalty.
i know, every VPN solution adds some latency, but i'm wondering about a solution with smallest added value.

average latency to my internet site without VPN is about 30ms average(4G mobile broadband)
but over self-hosted OpenVPN, latency to the same site is about 70ms.

Any suggestion how to reduce latency over VPN? should i try different software or it's some specific of Mobile broadband?

Thanks,
Uldis

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You can't defy the laws of physics unfortunately. VPN software itself adds next to no latency, however you're essentially doubling the path that traffic has to take. Host --> VPN endpoint --> destination vs host --> destination. Since you're unlikely to be controlling routing on either end, there's little you can do.

Reactions: cesmith9999

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
as BlueFox said, you can't really fight physics, but you could optimize latency using SD-WAN like SilverPeak which would require SP software and/or hardware on both sides.

Last edited:

uldise

Jul 2, 2020
Host --> VPN endpoint --> destination vs host --> destination
Thanks for response.
in my case VPN endpoint and destination is on the same LAN. so in LAN there should be almost no latency at all.
or am i missing something?

but you could optimize latency using SW-WAN
thanks for your link. i considered Zerotier once, but never implemented it to test..

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
I really like softether, I get about 30ms ping time to a pi located about 5 miles that is connected back to my network.

uldise

Jul 2, 2020
so, thank you all for feedback. i finally have a time to experiment with OpnSense + Wireguard in Proxmox VM, and after all configuration issues, it works just fine. Latency now is much better - 30ms without tunnel and 40ms with Wireguard tunnel.

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
so, thank you all for feedback. i finally have a time to experiment with OpnSense + Wireguard in Proxmox VM, and after all configuration issues, it works just fine. Latency now is much better - 30ms without tunnel and 40ms with Wireguard tunnel.
Are you using WireGuard-go or the kmod OPNsense WireGuard package?

uldise

Jul 2, 2020
i started with userspace WireGuard-go until i got it working. after that i switched to kmod package.

Reactions: Vesalius