recommended ram for Topton N6005 Router 6 LAN

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobLatour

Feb 14, 2023
I ordered a barebone Topton N6005 Router 6 LAN from AliExpress today with the intention of running OPNsense on it.

Specs say:
• Dual SO-DIMM DDR4 ram slots, support 2400/2666/2933MHz

Anyone have experience with this unit, or more specifically a suggestion of what ram I should buy?

I'm thinking 2x8GB @ 2666 - but would love to hear some opinions.

cdru

Oct 27, 2018
I've had no memory related issues with my 4-port N5105 from CWWK using this Crucial CT2K32G4SFD832A 2x32GB SODIMM kit.

It's more memory than what you're thinking, and it's for a different CPU and board from a different brand. But other than that, they're practically the same...;)

I don't know why you're thinking specifically at 2666 memory. 2933 or 3200 is essentially the same price or cheaper for name brand modules. If you already have some 2666 modules laying around, or can get them at a bargin, then they won't hurt. I wouldn't seek out the slower speeds though. It's unlikely you'd see a significant performance difference either way though.

RobLatour

Feb 14, 2023
@cdru thanks for that, yes probably a little more memory than I wanted. I had intended to just run it as a dedicated OPNsence box - so even at 16GB I should have more than enough. Regardless, someday I may want to upgrade again and having more ram in the box for alternative uses might be a good idea.

Did you have to change any BIOS settings, or was it just a plug-them-in and they-worked sort of thing for you?

RobLatour

Feb 14, 2023
actually, I just went ahead and ordered what you suggested, but just the 2x8GB kit. Would still be interested to know if you had to fiddle with the BIOS settings.