Recommended cables for new setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

takeawaydave

Aug 20, 2013
Hello - I hope this is ok asking here... my ISP is switching up to a faster 10 or 25 gbps service and wondering what I need to get. I’m running Unifi USG and switches at the moment.

I am in a house with:

a) GROUND FLOOR: incoming line from ISP (USG3, US-8-150W, UAP-nanoHD)
b) BASEMENT: server rack and nas, US-24-G1 (24 port UniFi Switch that has 2 x SFP+ ports)
c) FIRST FLOOR: Working: 2 Laptops + XBOX :) - All currently on wireless - want to switch to 10G line.

I’m not in a position to drill holes so generally i take wires out of windows and back in as required. I‘m thinking optical lines wouldn‘t appreciate being squashed like I get away with on copper.

Lab machines need 10GBE connection to ground floor

Till now I was thinking of getting:

a) GROUND FLOOR: MikroTik Cloud Core Router MikroTik CCR2004-1G-12S +2XS (might lack 1gbps ports for legacy devices)
b) BASEMENT: Connected to upstairs using existing Cat6a line with SFP/RJ45 modules

I need to also connect PowerEdge Server to Unifi switch and tried this today with optech branded DAC that failed. I’m thinking I need to get a UniFi supported DAC.

c) FIRST FLOOR: MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN fed from ground floor with also with cat6a cable and SFP/RJ45 modules both ends.

Hope some one can advise . I’m really one of those set up, optimize and leave network alone till next upgrade kind of people so am a little unfamiliar with latest tech.

Thanks !