Recommendations for server software

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

GMitchell

Sep 24, 2021
I currently am running WHS 2011 on an old pc i5-2500k with OS on 500Mb ssd and 7 4Tb drives connected to the Asrock Z68 Extreme4 chipsets. My needs are backup of Windows 10 and Windows 7 pc's. Streaming to those same pc's, video and audio. Storage of files created on those pc's. Would like to stream video and audio to RokuTV. I'm not specifically interested in having my server available to the internet, nor remote access. Low maintenance from me (essentially set and forget). Any constructive suggestions, with explanations, would be welcomed.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
You could do UnRaid, truenas scale (beta, Linux based), or truenas core (stable, BSD based)
Either option will manage your storage, provide easy to use GUI and file services (smb, nfs etc)
For video/audio - Plex (add-on to either of these platforms above) is the most popular option, but you could also check Emby or completely free Jellyfin.

GMitchell

Sep 24, 2021
Using UnRaid how will that affect my storage drives? I currently have my video and audio on JBOD's. Will I have to initialize them to use UnRaid? What overhead (additional drives) can I expect to use? Using Plex will I have to rename all my files to use Plex (over 1,000) platform?

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
1) Yes, you'd need to evacuate the data from drives to somewhere else in order to initialize them
2) Plex will scan existing files and use it's a best judgment to assign correct metadata. If metadata scanning fails for some objects you could either change it manually within plex or use Plex file naming convention. See below. At the very least - you must separate your tv-series and movies into different folders

you may also want to consider building a dedicated NAS with more modern and lower power usage processor/board components.
getting less (but larger) hard drives should help too. I am in the process of migrating my old DIY NAS with 18x 2TB drives to TVS-872XT with 8x 14TB drives. It wasn't cheap (especially drives) but I expect noticeable AC power usage savings (also consolidating my 3 node vmware cluster)

GMitchell

Sep 24, 2021
Thanks for your prompt response. I see on the forum I posted in normally a post has to be seen by over 200+ before it gets a reply. UnRaid is looking good, but I am afraid of the learning curve, and costs, but I can't use WHS 2011 anymore its creating quirks: win10 machines having permission problems, win 7 machines losing connection with the server for no apparent reason.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
UNraid is trivial to get setup, and is extremely flexible with storage and adding new disks even if they're different sizes etc.

There are also an insane amount of videos on how to set things up like these - (709) Spaceinvader One - YouTube