Recommendation on an LGA 2011-3 Motherboard that sleeps properly for desktop use?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I want to assemble a new desktop to run Linux, with Windows via VM & GPU passthrough. Rebooting between OS's sometimes several times a day is getting old, and my current mATX setup lacks the expansion for a second GPU. But, since its a desktop, I also wanted to be able to use sleep/resume.

I've got a E5-2680v4 on the way (https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/ebay-intel-xeon-e5-2680v4-168.29838/) that I'd originally thought to use with an X10-SRH-CF I already had (https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/supermicro-x10srh-cf.28009/). Unfortunately, it seems that board doesn't seem to support sleep, or at least I can't figure out how to enable it. Since its from SM's server line, I really should have known it wouldn't. In my defense though, SM's product page specifically mentions sleep mode in the Power Configurations section for some reason. :oops:

Rather than pull another bone-headed move by guessing again, I thought I'd ask for recommends from anyone with practical experience. For example, the X10SRA is supposed to support sleep, and being from the Workstation segment, there's probably a good chance that it does. But it's power managment feature list is identical to the one for the X10SRH-CF, so confirmation from someone that knows if it actually sleeps would be really great! I'm not tied to one brand though, just don't want to take a chance on one of the recent flood of "no-name" Chinese products.

Other than sleep support, I don't need much: a couple PCIe slots for GPUs, and support for two m.2 NVMe via any combination of sockets and/or PCIe slot(s). Form factor isn't much of an issue, as its going into a rather cavernous 4U chassis.

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
You're probably best off looking for one of the workstation-esque flavours of X99 boards - as far as I'm aware those could all take the E5 2xxx CPUs as well as the regular haswell/broadwell i7 series.

I used the ASRock X99 WS for years which has explicit support for the E5-2680v4 and definitely works with S2R/S2D.

Reactions: Markess

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
I do have an Asrock EP2C612. It does sleep. The EPC612 (single-socket) *should* sleep too. They are both intended for workstation use.

Reactions: Markess