Recommend me a UPS for home lab

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I want to change out my UPS and need some recommendations based on some specs i would like in the UPS.

Not in any order.
  • Software that works with VMware 7.x - must be simple and not scripts running on a windows vm thing. I want something like VM app or something that talks directly to vcenter or the esxi hosts.
  • 2-3K VA for storage. My server stack run around 800W and at those levels i would like to see 15 min runtime.
  • budget -1500 ish
  • Rack mountable.
  • LCD would be nice - i like to see stats.
  • Network card also would be nice.
  • Proper sine wave
  • Like to have double online with eco mode.
  • 120V for now as i dont have 220V line run to server rack.

Let me know what i should look at. I will also add to this thread if i find anything that looks promissing.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Eaton 5 series.

Pick the size that meets your budget.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Eaton 5 series.

Pick the size that meets your budget.
Do you have any experience with the eaton product? If so how loud are the fans on the 5 series. Currently considering the 5P3000RT with network card add-on. I have to check on their software to see if they have a VM app available.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Do you have any experience with the eaton product? If so how loud are the fans on the 5 series. Currently considering the 5P3000RT with network card add-on. I have to check on their software to see if they have a VM app available.
Its all I use. The only time you will notice the fans is when they are running on battery, or are recharging after an outage.

Their IPM software is available on many platforms. For VMWare, they have an OVA that you deploy: https://powerquality.eaton.com/Support/Software-Drivers/Downloads/Intelligent-Power-Software.asp