Recommend me a EE-ATX chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

safado

Aug 21, 2020
Got a little eBay happy and picked up a couple of Supermicro X10 motherboards on good deals to do some long overdue upgrades. One was an EE-ATX and I’ve since learned that’s not a common form factor.

I’m looking for a chassis that will work and preferably something in a rack mount 2u/4u I don’t care that isn’t too deep. Would consider a tower as well—budget is flexible but would prefer to not spend 1k on a case.

Anyone have any recommendations or should I just sell the EE-ATX and chalk it up as a mistake? Thanks!

safado

Aug 21, 2020
Thank you! I had seen the 846 previously for a Unraid build but knew little to nothing of Supermicro's offerings. Appreciate the response--looks like a perfect fit for my needs.

safado

Aug 21, 2020
Ok I’m now rethinking this chassis. I see the Supermicro cooler SNK-P0048AP4 that works with a 2u chassis is extremely loud. I haven’t found another alternative cooler so I’m thinking perhaps a 4u chassis now.

Any additional thoughts/recommendations or am I off base?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Well, with that chassis, you would generally use passive heatsinks, not active. If you want to explore other options, the majority of full length Supermicro chassis will accommodate EEATX motherboards.

Reactions: safado

safado

Aug 21, 2020
Ah ok thank you! I wonder if passive would be adequate enough for a garage environment with dual 120w TDP v3 processors assuming stock fans on the 2u? Thanks for helping me think this through!

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
see the Supermicro cooler SNK-P0048AP4 that works with a 2u chassis is extremely loud.
I have that heatsink and while the fan can go up to 8.4k rpm it usually runs at less than 4k rpm and is quieter than all the system/chassis fans together (or the hdds in the 846b :D)

safado

Aug 21, 2020
I have that heatsink and while the fan can go up to 8.4k rpm it usually runs at less than 4k rpm and is quieter than all the system/chassis fans together (or the hdds in the 846b :D)
Thank you! That’s great to know—garage is well insulated and it only gets up to 100 outside a handful of times during the year.

I’m guessing it’s a lot like the ICX6610 that I recently installed where I can only hear it above the other equipment when the fans kick into a second gear and that happens only 5-10 times a day or so.

Thanks for your insights!

qQ4lXbYj

Jun 15, 2021
Hi,
If you are interested in a tower, you can fit EE-ATX motherboard easily on a Fractal Design Define 7 XL (Speaking from experience), It is massive though.

Commey

Jul 20, 2021
Hi,
If you are interested in a tower, you can fit EE-ATX motherboard easily on a Fractal Design Define 7 XL (Speaking from experience), It is massive though.
Did you have to modify the case at all (drilling mounts, etc.)? I'm stuck looking for an EE-ATX case and this is the first good suggestion of a model I've found so far.

qQ4lXbYj

Jun 15, 2021
Did you have to modify the case at all (drilling mounts, etc.)? I'm stuck looking for an EE-ATX case and this is the first good suggestion of a model I've found so far.
Nope no drilling no nothing. As I said if you have the space for the case then an added bonus is that you can fit a ridiculous amount of drives inside and it is very modular so you can modify the case to your needs. The only thing that I had a bit of trouble with and haven't been bothered to fix are the PWM fans but i've just been lazy.
I don't have a GPU so not so sure if there is space for massive heat sinks and GPU but it's probably ok.
Mine fits very comfortably 4 SATA SSD, 6 SATA HDD (with one full space between each disk for cooling purposes) a Supermicro EE-ATX X9Dri-LN4F+ an LSI Controller LSI-9211-8i, 2 add-on NIC cards (4 ports) and 2 massive Noctua heatsinks NH-D15.

Commey

Jul 20, 2021
Nope no drilling no nothing. As I said if you have the space for the case then an added bonus is that you can fit a ridiculous amount of drives inside and it is very modular so you can modify the case to your needs. The only thing that I had a bit of trouble with and haven't been bothered to fix are the PWM fans but i've just been lazy.
I don't have a GPU so not so sure if there is space for massive heat sinks and GPU but it's probably ok.
Mine fits very comfortably 4 SATA SSD, 6 SATA HDD (with one full space between each disk for cooling purposes) a Supermicro EE-ATX X9Dri-LN4F+ an LSI Controller LSI-9211-8i, 2 add-on NIC cards (4 ports) and 2 massive Noctua heatsinks NH-D15.
Awesome! Thank you for the write up.

I have the exact same Supermicro board so I think this is the solution I’ll go with, it’s impossible to find a case that’s not an overpriced Supermicro rack.

Thanks again!