Recommend a quiet IB switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
I currently have a Voltaire 4036 and it's screaming... Does anyone else run QDR or FDR setup that has a more tolerable switch?

I would like a FDR switch since most gear I have are FDR already.

Thanks.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
I'm not sure this exists, maybe worth your time to build a hush box around d the switch.

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
Hmmmmmmmmmm when it fires up the switch, I swear it's louder than the old Intel 1U I had but after it boots up, the noise is still audible from 3 rooms away! Could it be just my switch? Are the newer generation switches quieter?

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Remember that these are enterprise switches, they are designed for data centers, have tiny turbines, are older technology, and are moving a boatload of data. It's hard to get them to run quiet without killing them since they need the airflow. It's kinda like asking if you can make a canon shoot quieter, you could, but you won't get the same performance.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
As others said what you want does not exist , the only hope is to homebrew and modify it on your own.

Even the 8/12 port "tabletop" switches are loud. I have one of their latest designs (SX6012, manuf. 2014) and it could be mistaken for an RC Jet ready for takeoff.

The good news is the 4 engines fans are using normal PWM fan headers, so I believe a relatively quiet solution is possible, and I will get to it when I can + pics etc ;)