Recommend a PCIe NVME SSD for X10SRi-F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
Anyone have a recommendation? I got a Plextor AIC, but it isn't compatible. I need a 256 MB NVME SSD for a PCIe x8. I'm ok using a M.2 adapter, but am not sure if they will work. Supermicro said their Adapter (AOC-SLG3-2M2) isn't compatible

Recommendations?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
There is a ton of options for NVMe AICs - from cheap to buys a car.
You can use PCIe adapter for 2.5" NVMe drives as well, or consumer level M.2 to PCIe Adapter.

All should be in PCIe3 x4 slots btw which the SRi provides 3 of iirc.
So what are you willing to pay and what do you want to use it for?

Which AIC is not compatible?
And yes the SM Adapter is not compatible b/c it needs bifurcation support (most likely) since it supports 2 M.2 cards

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
There is a ton of options for NVMe AICs - from cheap to buys a car.
You can use PCIe adapter for 2.5" NVMe drives as well, or consumer level M.2 to PCIe Adapter.

All should be in PCIe3 x4 slots btw which the SRi provides 3 of iirc.
So what are you willing to pay and what do you want to use it for?

Which AIC is not compatible?
And yes the SM Adapter is not compatible b/c it needs bifurcation support (most likely) since it supports 2 M.2 cards
I had a Plextor PX-256M8PeG and a Y... The Y is a PCIe x4 card... I tried it in the X10SRi-F... wouldn't boot. Couldn't even get into BIOS setup... both Plextor and Supermicro said there is an issue....

Would Amazon.com: Lycom DT-120 M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter (Support M.2 PCIe 2280, 2260, 2242): Computers & Accessorieswork?....

I also tried a PX-256M8PeG in a X10SDV-TLN4F. Same thing.. caused the Bios to hang.

I'm going to put a SM951 in that computer. I'd like to put an SM951 in the X10SRi-F also... but need an adapter...

I'm looking for 256GB for $200 or less....

Recommendations?

Thanks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Weird with the Plextor drive.

The Lycom adapter should work - at least a similar one worked for me with a Samsung drive and also a Gigabyte M2/U2 adapter Kit.

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
I'll give it a try.... And yes.. it is weird. It booted up once... I installed Proxmox (tried to install to the NVME). It worked... installed ... wrote the drive... then when I went to reboot it goes through the bios... then goes black... and reboots.... over and over. If I hit the key to go into the bios setup it says "Entering Setup"... but never gets there. Just keeps rebooting. Won't do anything with the card in the system. I have no other computer to put the drive into .... I was going to try to format it to see if it's some MBR issue or something the bios is reading... but....

Odd right? Thoughts?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
And you are on the latest bios? Have tried cmos reset and all that?

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
Yep.... Latest BIOS. Took the card out. CMOS reset.... boots fine. As soon as I put the card in.... boom.... just endless reboot loop. The post code I get in the IPMI is 63 (same on both machines). I ordered that card... I may try to stick it into another computer and see if I can format the drive. .... It's really annoying....

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
Oh.... the Plextor cards aren't the latest bios.... but I can't update them because I can't even get the system to get past the bios....