Recomendations for PDU that wont break bank

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BThunderW

Jul 8, 2013
Canada, eh?
www.copyerror.com
Sorry for the necromancy I wasn't sure if I should resurrect this thread or start a new one. I'm looking for an "affordable" remote switched PDU that will work with a rack PDU C13 connector at 240V (supplied by the host)

JeffroMart

Jun 27, 2014
So you want to daisy-chain to an existing PDU?

Generally speaking that is not good practice and most providers/hosts would not allow that type of configuration if I am understanding the question correctly?

The host has provided a single C13 port on an existing basic PDU and you want to then connect that to a switched PDU?

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
There are a lot of options on the 240 side, most can be found on ebay. All of the "230V" ones I have worked with support 240V as well, but check specific models online before you buy.

From APC
* AP7920's work for horizontal (7920/7921 1U, 7922 for 2U)
* AP8958 / AP8959 (Zero U - mounts in keyhole slots on back of rack)

TrippLite Similar options
* PDUMH20HVNET (1U) PDUMH20HVATNET (1U + ATS)
* PDUMH30HVNET (2U) PDUMH30HVATNET (2U + ATS)
* PDUMV20HVNET / PDUMV*HV* models (ZeroU)

The "AT" models have an automatic transfer switch built-in which is handy if you have dual-feeds and only single power supply devices like switches.

Eaton also has similar modules, no direct experience with them myself.

Reactions: BThunderW

BThunderW

Jul 8, 2013
Canada, eh?
www.copyerror.com
The host provides a vertical PDU that doesn't offer remote power capability. I want to run my own 1U/2U PDU that does.

Tom

So you want to daisy-chain to an existing PDU?

Generally speaking that is not good practice and most providers/hosts would not allow that type of configuration if I am understanding the question correctly?

The host has provided a single C13 port on an existing basic PDU and you want to then connect that to a switched PDU?

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
The host provides a vertical PDU that doesn't offer remote power capability. I want to run my own 1U/2U PDU that does.

Tom
Will the host swap out the PDU if you provide a replacement managed Zero-U unit?

Not uncommon for colos to provide basic metered PDUs just to manage power usage within the rack, and you can "upgrade" to a switched PDUs for extra $ as NRC or MRC. It is also not uncommon for them to be quite unhappy if you daisy-chain PDUs as jeffromart mentioned.

JeffroMart

Jun 27, 2014
They're ok with me running my own PDU connected to theirs.
Generally speaking most facilities will not allow you to do this because of it being questionable to fire codes regulations, depending on what state/county/etc the data center is located in. In most of MD/VA/DC this is not allowed and a fire marshal/inspector could potentially shutdown the facility if they allow this to happen.

Will the host swap out the PDU if you provide a replacement managed Zero-U unit?

Not uncommon for colos to provide basic metered PDUs just to manage power usage within the rack, and you can "upgrade" to a switched PDUs for extra $ as NRC or MRC. It is also not uncommon for them to be quite unhappy if you daisy-chain PDUs as jeffromart mentioned.
I would agree with this, I would ask them if you can replace the basic PDU with a switched one instead as Blinky mentioned. You would just need to find out if they are using a 20A or a 30A 240v circuit to know what type of connection you would need to plug into their receptacle. Typically this will be either a L6-20P or L6-30P style plug on your PDU side. The next decision would be again as Blinky mentioned do you use a 1U or 2U horizontal type PDU or vertical depending on how many outlets you need and what your power requirements are.

In any case, if you do decide to daisy chain to their PDU, the largest issue you would have here is getting a switched PDU that would even have a C13/C14 style input connector on it to plug into their PDU without modifying it yourself or with some other adapter. And even then once you found such an adapter it is possible that the wire size/gauge that would probably be used would not be sufficient to power the strip properly, and this is where the fire code and bad practice comes in.