Recomendation For A Small SSD For VM Storage.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
As the title says I'm in need of a small SSD for storing a few VMs. It doesn't need to be blazing fast. The deals section isn't as full of SSD finds as it used to be and I'm a bit out of the loop so I don't know what to look for.

Thanks!

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
As the title says I'm in need of a small SSD for storing a few VMs. It doesn't need to be blazing fast. The deals section isn't as full of SSD finds as it used to be and I'm a bit out of the loop so I don't know what to look for.

Thanks!
What kind of hardware do you have?
Can you use NVMe, SAS, SATA, 6gig, 12gig?
Let people know what hardware you have & folks can help you with your choice of SSD.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011
What kind of hardware do you have?
Can you use NVMe, SAS, SATA, 6gig, 12gig?
Let people know what hardware you have & folks can help you with your choice of SSD.
I believe it may be SATA only but may also be SAS 6 gig. The information is spotty. So SATA is probably the best bet. I suppose I could also install a NVME drive but I don't think it's necessary.

Jul 14, 2017
SSDs are pretty cheap these days. If you have no critical criteria that you seem able to articulate, just buy something cheap. Basically, most SSD are pretty decent and unless you are really going to be hammering an SSD for years on end 24/7 (even then SSDs will last far longer than fear mongers would suggest), durability isn't an issue.

PLP is worth thinking about, but it doesn't sound like the VM data is critical.

NugentS

Apr 8, 2020
I've killed a set of SSD's before. Got them down to 10% life left in about 3 years.

Was running half a dozen VM's on a set in R5. Some of the servers were reasonably busy. These were good consumer drives rather than "proper" ones.

Sean

mysy

Apr 2, 2020
CHINA
If you use Esxi with many VM, you should use SSD for OS disk, and HDD for datastore.
If you could install nvme PCI-E card with 512G nvme card , it will provide 2xxx-3xxx mbps read/write speed. cost about 100 USD.
If you use sata SSD , heavy IO need mlc chip one, like INTEL or samsung , but sata SSD only read/write speed up to 4xx mbps, 1/5 of NVME SSD, the price will cost same as nvme or not much different.