Reclaimed 10TB SAS 4Kn Enterprise hard drives - $145

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Keep in mind the Seagates look to be 2018 models whereas the HGST are early 2017, not sure on the warranty on these but something to consider. I've personally found used EXOS tend to be less worn than HGSTs, something else to keep in mind too. Either way, great to see some budget pricing for good ole enterprise spinners.

Reactions: Samir

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
I checked the warranty on the HGST and it says "Contact Technical Support for JBOD" on the page, so that gives a good idea of what kind of service these were in. No warranty from HGST, I'd say. However, the seller is offering their own 1-year warranty. They must have a huge pile of these, they've sold hundreds. I'm pretty tempted - I did just spend a bunch of money on some 12TB Easystores, though. Wish I had seen these first.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Where can these be had new for $160? You must know something I don't.
You can find them that cheap in the cdw outlet if you look and are patient. I just bought an HGST 10TB SATA for $165 + shipping. At one point they even had a bunch of 16TB SAS drives for $350, but no one bought them and they all went to liquidation. There's a batch of 12TB HGST SAS that are down to $190 so far and will probably drop to $170 as there's a seagate skyhawk that's at that price right now:
SEA SKYHAWK 10TB SKYHAWK 3.5 7.2K (B - ST10000VX0004-BSTK - Z - CDW Internal Use/Service Pts - CDW.com
Search Results

These aren't exactly easystore prices, but these aren't easystore drives either--7200 rpm 5yr warranty enterprise good stuff.

lcars

Apr 8, 2020
You can find them that cheap in the cdw outlet if you look and are patient. I just bought an HGST 10TB SATA for $165 + shipping. At one point they even had a bunch of 16TB SAS drives for $350, but no one bought them and they all went to liquidation. There's a batch of 12TB HGST SAS that are down to $190 so far and will probably drop to $170 as there's a seagate skyhawk that's at that price right now:
SEA SKYHAWK 10TB SKYHAWK 3.5 7.2K (B - ST10000VX0004-BSTK - Z - CDW Internal Use/Service Pts - CDW.com
Search Results

These aren't exactly easystore prices, but these aren't easystore drives either--7200 rpm 5yr warranty enterprise good stuff.
Thanks for this tip! I was able to find from CDW some "like new" 6TB Seagate Exos 12Gb/s SAS drives that way. $105 each, or $17.50 per TB with five year warranty.

datasheet for model number ST6000NM0095 https://www.seagate.com/www-content...p-3-5-hdd-data-sheetDS1882-3-1610US-en_US.pdf

Maybe helpful to someone else? It looks like up to seven per account:

SEAGATE 6TB 3.5IN 7.2K SAS HDD (BSTK - ST6000NM0095-BSTK - Z - CDW Internal Use/Service Pts - CDW.com

SEAGATE 6TB 3.5IN 7.2K SAS HDD (BSTK - ST6000NM0095-BSTK - Z - CDW Internal Use/Service Pts - CDW.com

https://www.cdw.com/product/seagate-6tb-3.5in-7.2k-sas-hdd-bstk/5972969?pfm=srh

NYCone

Jun 23, 2017
How does one search for the outlet drives? I can't pull them up in a search.

EDIT - found the right page.

Alexdi

Dec 7, 2012
I bought six of the 6TB Seagate linked above. Gave up after getting clapped-out used drives from other vendors with high uncorrected error counts. TBD if they have any hours, warranty, etc.

Reactions: Sleyk

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I bought six of the 6TB Seagate linked above. Gave up after getting clapped-out used drives from other vendors with high uncorrected error counts. TBD if they have any hours, warranty, etc.
Ime they will usually have a few poh, but not much use at all. As if the project suddenly changed directly before they even configured it or someone got the wrong drive and returned it. I think the most I saw was just over 1000 poh on the 14TB WDC sata ones I got almost a year ago.

The warranty is 100% as I've had to do two warranties in the last 5 years or so, one on a WDC RE4 2TB sata, and one on the HGST 10TB sata I just purchased that failed its smart. Just got the replacement drive and still have a solid warranty into 2024/2025. Not bad for well under $200 even with the shipping for the warranty service. :)

Alexdi

Dec 7, 2012
Ime they will usually have a few poh, but not much use at all. As if the project suddenly changed directly before they even configured it or someone got the wrong drive and returned it. I think the most I saw was just over 1000 poh on the 14TB WDC sata ones I got almost a year ago.

The warranty is 100% as I've had to do two warranties in the last 5 years or so, one on a WDC RE4 2TB sata, and one on the HGST 10TB sata I just purchased that failed its smart. Just got the replacement drive and still have a solid warranty into 2024/2025. Not bad for well under $200 even with the shipping for the warranty service. :)
So, they arrived.

Good: Zero hours, late 2019 manufacturing.

So-so: All the drives were individually packed (good) and tossed in a large box with inadequate filler (bad). Three were in torn anti-static bags (ok). Three had no bags (bad).

Bad: Seagate's warranty checker reports all the serial numbers as invalid.

I'll probably keep them out of foolish optimism and because I'm sick of shipping drives back and forth, but that's definitely a bummer.

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
The Hitachis from "KL0" were packed more-or-less adequately (new sealed anti-static bags, very clean drives). They were packaged with bubble wrap, which is what Newegg does for OEM drives - I don't like it but it's better than some. Same thing with the warranty checker for those.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
So, they arrived.

Good: Zero hours, late 2019 manufacturing.

So-so: All the drives were individually packed (good) and tossed in a large box with inadequate filler (bad). Three were in torn anti-static bags (ok). Three had no bags (bad).

Bad: Seagate's warranty checker reports all the serial numbers as invalid.

I'll probably keep them out of foolish optimism and because I'm sick of shipping drives back and forth, but that's definitely a bummer.
Yeah, the packing leaves a lot to be desired. The 10TB HGST I got recently didn't pass smart tests so I had to do a warranty. It was packed in the same manner along with a heavy ups battery that probably didn't help.

And initially I had trouble getting to the right place between hgst and wdc for the warranty, but it was covered. I would double check with seagate by contacting them directly somehow as all those units should be covered under a full warranty. And they unfortunately may need it due to the terrible packing.

I've got a Seagate on the way from the outlet that I got the other day---I hope it survives, but if not I'll share what I had to do for warranty service.

Alexdi

Dec 7, 2012
I've got a Seagate on the way from the outlet that I got the other day---I hope it survives, but if not I'll share what I had to do for warranty service.
EDIT: To avert confusion, I'm talking about Seagate Exos 7e8 6TB drives purchased from CDW, not the 10TB model from an EBay vendor.

I'd appreciate that. Seagate hides everything behind the serial number checker. You can't even send an email unless your number is valid.

My stress test for these drives is a full RAID-6 build that's scheduled to take another three days. They do run hot. My two Hitachi He8 drives in the same array are 35 and 37C in my Fractal R5. The Seagates are averaging 40C. This is with the front door removed and both fans adjacent to the drive cages on high. When I initially connected them in open-air on a table, they went to 52C in under an hour. Definitely not a friendly model for systems with low airflow despite the small capacity.

Last edited:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
EDIT: To avert confusion, I'm talking about Seagate Exos 7e8 6TB drives purchased from CDW, not the 10TB model from an EBay vendor.

I'd appreciate that. Seagate hides everything behind the serial number checker. You can't even send an email unless your number is valid.

My stress test for these drives is a full RAID-6 build that's scheduled to take another three days. They do run hot. My two Hitachi He8 drives in the same array are 35 and 37C in my Fractal R5. The Seagates are averaging 40C. This is with the front door removed and both fans adjacent to the drive cages on high. When I initially connected them in open-air on a table, they went to 52C in under an hour. Definitely not a friendly model for systems with low airflow despite the small capacity.
Will do. In fact, I'm going to confirm/verify the warranty just to find out what the procedure is even if the drive is fine. :) Yeah, HGST/WDC did the same thing so it took about a week to get the right website emailed to me. After that it was cake.

I've got some wd 3TB sata drives inside a wdc nas unit that will hit 41c without fans going full blast. And even with the fans, they're 37c. I've got some 1TB hgst units that are hot to the touch even with a fan on them, and yet my 2TB hgsts stay cool with minimum cooling. I think that drives just differ in terms of how much heat they put out.

Reactions: Sleyk