Reclaim Windows 10 using powershell

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
Here's another interesting script to disable some of W10's bloat features.
It was too long to post, so I just attached it and put the header in here.

Code:
##########
# Tweaked Win10 Initial Setup Script
# Primary Author: Disassembler <disassembler@dasm.cz>
# Modified by: alirobe <alirobe@alirobe.com> based on my personal preferences.
# Version: 2.10.1, 2017-11-25
# Primary Author Source: https://github.com/Disassembler0/Win10-Initial-Setup-Script
# Tweaked Source: https://gist.github.com/alirobe/7f3b34ad89a159e6daa1/
# Tweak difference:
#
#    @alirobe's version is a subset focused on safely disabling telemetry, 'smart' features, and 3rd party bloat ...
#    ... while retaining win10 defaults + security features. Aim to be suitable for end-user rollout.
#
#    If you're a power user looking to tweak your machine, or doing larger roll-out.. 
#    Use the @Disassembler0 script instead. It'll probably be more up-to-date than mine:
#    https://github.com/Disassembler0/Win10-Initial-Setup-Script
# 
#    Note from author: Never run scripts without reading them & understanding what they do.
#
##########

Attachments

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Note: I haven't read the attached file

Have you done this yet yourself?
What did you notice had changed / no longer available?

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
@T_Minus just check the .ps1 file with a good text editor like notepad++
You can configure which things to enable/disable by way of commenting out the commands with a #.
All the settings are explained and pretty transparent if you read through them.
I have used parts of it, worked well to get most of the pre-installed crap out of the standard w10 install like xbox, candy crush, onedrive, etc.

Last edited:

dicecca112

Feb 10, 2016
I just ran it on my SurfaceBook. I find it odd it installs the Linux Subsystem and Hyper-V but the rest makes sense to do. Was nice to see that removed a lot of junk apps that Windows 10 installs by default.

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
I find it odd it installs the Linux Subsystem and Hyper-V but the rest makes sense to do.
It's only strange because you did not go through the options before running it. (always a bad idea)
As I said earlier, you can pick what it does:

@T_Minus just check the .ps1 file with a good text editor like notepad++
You can configure which things to enable/disable by way of commenting out the commands with a #.
All the settings are explained and pretty transparent if you read through them.

dicecca112

Feb 10, 2016
I see the script as a way to clean out the junk and extra items one doesn’t need in the day to day running of an OS and in that case you don’t need Hyper V or Linux Sub system

Last edited:
Reactions: frogtech

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Looks good but I prefer to just edit the iso with NTLite and use that instead with all the updates I require, fixes and completely remove uneccessary stuff. If you're planning on using this on server 2016 be extra careful because there many differences in package names.

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
edit the iso with NTLite and use that instead with all the updates I require, fixes and completely remove unnecessary stuff.
Yes, obviously a custom image which is then served up over PXE with a fast network connection would be a lot better.
That is not who this script is aimed at, it's for the average joe who does not want to spend the time to build a custom image.

If you're planning on using this on server 2016 be extra careful because there many differences in package names.
True, that is why I put Windows 10 in the topic.

Reactions: frogtech and Tha_14

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
True, that is why I put Windows 10 in the topic.
Nah, I didn't mean anything bad about it. I just wanted to include that people who setup windows server 2016 should simply be very careful if they intend to run this script on their systems. People tend to ignore warnings you know :)