Received new RAM in an plastic anti-static bag - thoughts?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Owen

Feb 15, 2016
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else received new RAM sticks that are apparantly new and un-used that were loosly put in a pink plastic anti-static bag? Just one per bag.

I have never received RAM like this - it should come in the normal semi rigid plastic holder with transparent plastic top cover...right? Sealed on the sides with a Manufacturer (Samsung in this case) sticker...right?

I emailed the seller (big reputable online retailer in Germany - Jacob.de) and they said that's how it arrived from the manufacturer. Just checking the BS meter before it goes flying back to them!

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Not sure about the bags but my guess is they packed it themselves from the bulk shipping boxes (20 or 50 per tray usually)

Take a close look at the contact pads, if it’s used you will see the marks.

I would say probably no issues, refer first comment.
Not good they didn’t say that if that’s what they did, maybe who ever supplied to them did that though.

Owen

Feb 15, 2016
Thanks for the info Evan.

Just took it out of the packet and although a bit hard to see it does look as though they have been inserted. Not sure if this was just from QA testing but I think I'll send them back. I have "the seed of doubt", so they're tainted now :) I'm probably crazy, but better safe than sorry :rolleyes:

Reactions: Tha_14

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Big reputable online retailer in Germany - Jacob.de
Big? Not really :D
I ordered a bunch of enterprise gear from them and I'm happy so far.

Are you sure that you didn't order grade b (opened boxes and similar) ram from them?
Jacob.JPG

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
In my experience <10% come in rigid plastic individual pieces.
That's retail, non-bulk purchase of RAM in my experience, and\or all consumer non-ECC RAM comes like that.

When buying in quantity it comes how you described, in bulk packaging plastic, and aside from this I've gotten it without any packaging in a box, wrapped in non anti-static plastic, and other literal garbage wrapping from various 2nd-hand sellers.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
The pink plastic bags actually are anti-static. Bulk packaging like that is also the norm for non-retail products. I would not be disappointed if my RAM turned up like that.

Reactions: T_Minus

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@T_Minus says less than 10% for him in the rigid plastic individual packing, for me it’s greater than 99%. But that’s just the suppliers I deal with like HPE ship so no unexpected.

I really would not be worried I don’t think. I really think it’s just bulk repack or thats how it’s bulk packed.

Reactions: T_Minus

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Hehe, I have received RAM in plastic retail carriers, anti-static bags, tin foil, freezer bags, toilet paper, newspaper, cut down cornflakes box, inside plastic water bottles, rattling about in padded envelopes and a bunch of other things over the years. About the only time I have ever had RAM be DOA was when the postie stood on it to get it in the mailbox :D

Reactions: Tha_14 and Owen

Owen

Feb 15, 2016
Thanks for all the replies - you guys have convinced me to just hold on to them and forget about it :)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Hehe, I have received RAM in plastic retail carriers, anti-static bags, tin foil, freezer bags, toilet paper, newspaper, cut down cornflakes box, inside plastic water bottles, rattling about in padded envelopes and a bunch of other things over the years. About the only time I have ever had RAM be DOA was when the postie stood on it to get it in the mailbox :D
:D:D:D

It's funny when I open a box with RAM or CPU and it's in perfect anti-static bag \ plastic \ whatever, taped, maybe even has a 'warning sticker on it... and then you open it and find it wrapped in something not ant-static.. SOO CLOSE!:confused::confused: