reasons for SATA SSD over NVMe?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
Hello,

are there any reasons to prefer SATA TLC SSD over NVMe TLC SSD?

I have to replace my storage discs in my PC. One of the HDD in the Storage Spaces Mirror is dying. There is no heavy load on this storage. Manly read access. And mainly archived data. Basically, the data I want to have "close to the PC". All long-term storage data and backups are on the NAS/server. But for some data I would benefit of faster speed than HDD. (Just for info: the system itself already is running on NVMe).

Looking in the range of two times about 2 TB TLC for reliable storage, I do not see a difference in the price between 2.5in SATA and 2.5in NVMe U.2 drives. I definitely do not need the speed of the NVMe. But is there any reason beside the additional U.2 adaptor I need, not to go for it?

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
As a user of supermicro 745 chassis I would say the lack of available nvme/u.2 backplanes :D
OK. Storage server is a different story. I am talking about a desktop/tower ATX PC and I am talking about two drives in total. So two PCIe to U.2 adaptors are not a big deal.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I would go with what fits your need best in terms of cost\power\performance\capacity and disregard PCIE vs SATA unless that matters due to port availability, in which case like i386 said that dictates what to go with ;)

I ended up upgrading a lot of SSD to NVME because we had the ports and the NVME was actually cheaper than SATA SSD.

In my desktop I run a 480GB optane, a 400GB S3610, a 1TB P4500 because they fit my needs and I had them :D

Last edited:

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
NVMe for Windows and games, SATA for bulk storage.
Yes, general recommendation and reasons behind I know.
Now I am looking for bulk storage, but more in direction reliable datacenter grade than cheapest consumer stuff found on the market.

I ended up upgrading a lot of SSD to NVME because we had the ports and the NVME was actually cheaper than SATA SSD.
That's my point. I do not see a price difference and the required two U.2 I can make available. I have free PCIe ports and PCIe to U.2 adaptors are cheap.

But will the NVMe way bring any disadvantage or the SATA way any advantage I haven't noticed so far? That's my question.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Yes, general recommendation and reasons behind I know.
Now I am looking for bulk storage, but more in direction reliable datacenter grade than cheapest consumer stuff found on the market.
Samsung PM/SM series, Micron MAX, Intel DC/Optane, SSDs like that. I myself swear by Samsung SM863's for my big Precisions like the M6500 Covets I have.

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
Thank you. Micron and Intel DC is where currently I have focused my search on. Unfortunately, at the moment I am living outside my home country and choices are more limited here. But it does not need to be the latest model. Sometimes there are good offers for stock of older models like Intel DC P3500. Something that was good 5 years ago is not worse today.