Reasonably alternatives to Exchange/Server2012/Sharepoint?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Endoftheworld

Sep 5, 2016
So as a perhaps 'Microsoft Bigot' - what's 'So expensive' about just going the Microsoft route? Either way you need the hardware and lets assume that's a wash.
The hardware's definitely not a fixed cost either way . I run several virtual machines and generally the linux ones run on about 1/4 of the resources of the windows ones. If everything was on windows I'd need a few more servers. I'd also need separate licenses for each virtualisation.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Licenses isn't a hardware discussion. So that's moot.

The hardware, you're not going to buy 1/4 the hardware if you go Linux, you're almost certainly going to buy the same hardware, but perhaps get more out of it. In any event, an "average" server, the cost to go from say 64GB to 128GB as a host, is 'marginal' in the grand scheme of all this, especially when factored over 3 years.

Also, this solution if I recall was for 5-10 users. While Linux solutions will certainly run on less, there comes a point where there is a "minimum" size. An Exchange solution for that number of users, is going to run just fine on your average laptop, as long as it has an SSD. So to say that it would require 4x the hardware, is absurd. It's going to take maybe 2-4 cores and 8-12GB of RAM of a host, and that's if you're being generous.

Thus, the hardware cost can be assumed to be a wash.