Really weird workstation request

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I put together one of my old E3 v2 workstations for my garage computer and have been getting the software on it I'll need, and use. I ran into a snag... no onboard sound! How can I get work done watching Youtube videos in the garage with no sound?! LOL.

Do they make USB "Sound Cards" or am I stuck on PCIE?

Anyone have any suggestions for some <$50 ? I haven't gotten one in years!

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
FWIW it will be connecting to a Lapai AMP and Micca speakers leftover from another fun/side project.

Not sure how/if that affects which sound card / outputs matter :)

It's far from high-end, more opposite end DIY spectrum :) but hey, it'll work for garage music!

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Tons of options out there, USB DACs are actually the best way to get sound from computers in most cases IMO. A lot of the audio nerds have given up on internal cards, especially for mainly playback uses.

Some headsets even come with built-in DACs now, I got a hyperx2 in a R6 siege bundle super cheap last year and it is actually really good.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Thanks guys for all the options! I'm hoping to find one that doesn't have any hiss or background 'electrical' sound... @Aluminum I did the whole $$ amp, dac, headphone, etc... def. not going that route this time but $50 or less, sure :)

Ordered a couple cheapy USB to try out and we'll see how it works :) also snagged a cheap internal PCIe to compare to!

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Yeah, that's called DAC nowadays. Just get simple with RCA out and call it a day.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Some were supposed to arrive today but with Amazon dropping UPS my USPS service has been TERRIBLE!!! Amazon "big" boxes are constantly left at the Post Office for me to find time to pickup, ugh.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
What OS?

If you have a video card with an HDMI connector you can use that for sound with an adapter.

Or pick up a Asus Xonar DSX pci-e card, works perfectly in Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10.

It's a little over $50 on newegg but it sounds amazing!!! IT ROCKS!!

ASUS Xonar DSX Audio Card-Newegg.com

EDIT: its under $45 with a rebate.

It's the only sound card that I have found that you can use the headphone under windows and Ubuntu with out having to reconfigure depending on os.

Also Windows 2016 Server if you search for UNi-Xonar driver since the Asus oem driver wont install.

I use the UNi-Xonar driver exclusively under windows because it just works great.