Real World Story: ZFS/napp-it saves the Day.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fblittle

Apr 5, 2011
Gridley, CA (near Sacramento)
I built a Solaris 11 / ZFS home server about a year ago, and I mostly use it to back up my Windows Home Server 2011. It contains duplicate folders and shares on it like the WHS does. I also use the WHS and Solaris11 server to back up my laptop from work. I have a Sync program that syncs my Laptop files to WHS and then to Solaris11 at least once per week. I have been keeping my records for Expenses and other work related Items on a folder removed fom the sync folder in an archive, 10 years worth. While syncing the two systems a month ago somehow the archive got deleted by the sync software, so it deleted both the WHS copies and the Solaris11 copies, and eventually my backups of that. Since they are archives I don't look at them too often, so it took me a month to realize they were missing. The first thing I did was to look in the WHS for shadow copies, or previous versions. I could find nothing!!! As a last resort I opened Solaris and moved the time slider back a month to find my files. There they were!! The last resort I had or they were lost forever. This is where napp-it comes in. If napp-it hadn't been set up to do routine snapshots they would not have been there either.

So thanks to napp-it and Solaris11 (ZFS), my archives are safe.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Great story! Glad to hear you got everything back.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I am scared of having a drive fail with ZFS. Seems hard 2 restore. Does Napp-it help?