Real Hot CPU in a small 1U?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ISRV

Jul 11, 2015
anyone has an experience in using cpu's with 130-140W TPD in very small 1U cases like supermicro SC512F-350B

it has only two dual 40mm fans. and the case of course is limited to low cpu heatsinks.
is that enough for such hot cpu?

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Unless you have very limited space I'd suggest going with 2U or even 3U for extra space and cooling

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Chassis is plenty for that much heat. It supports dual socket boards and Supermicro sold some barebones that way. I own one myself and have used it for about 4 years now. There's a version that has 3 fans as well.

William

May 7, 2015
Any given platform, 1U, 2U etc has design criteria such as what CPU's to use.
Yes the motherboard can handle any Xeon processor, but typically they do not put high core count processors like a E5-2699 v4 on a dual socket motherboard in a 1U case. You might have to dig a bit but many have a list of certified parts for a given platform.

Even tho you might install higher CFM fans, better heat sinks etc heat damage can happen to the motherboard. Another case would be the processor throttles down to keep it in design TDP limits.

From experience, going with very high CFM fans like Deltas, does not mean better cooling. Air flow can be to fast to exchange heat in an efficient manor.