Raspberry Pi 2 Model B released

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
As to the high availability setup - you might want to check out this site:

http://banoffeepiserver.com/

Seems like he's done high availability on both BPi and RPi. Of course, he's cheating by using an x86 for load balancing (LOL), but there's a lot of information there, including some good performance information.
Very interesting, it was pretty much something like this I was thinking about.
Now if only I had the money and the time :D

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
As to the high availability setup - you might want to check out this site:

http://banoffeepiserver.com/

Seems like he's done high availability on both BPi and RPi. Of course, he's cheating by using an x86 for load balancing (LOL), but there's a lot of information there, including some good performance information.
I think it's really amusing that he says the whole cluster could be replaced with a single x86 server and then describes how the cluster only works based on a x86 box serving as a load balancer.

While definitely cute and probably fun to build its also kind of a fail based on the idea that his box serving as a load balancer could have replaced the whole cluster all by itself.

Reactions: Patriot and Patrick

nry

Feb 22, 2013
My RPi Model B 2 arrived this morning :) Hoping to have some time over the weekend to see how XBMC(Kodi) performs.

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
ForceTheParcel brought mine today too. Struggling with my SD to microSD adapter which is being a tart. Gave up for today.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
My RPi Model B 2 arrived this morning :) Hoping to have some time over the weekend to see how XBMC(Kodi) performs.
I'll be very interested in how this works out. If possible - start a thread just for that (XBMC/Kodi on RpiB2). If you have time playing with it - can you check performance with XBMC when playing low-def video over the RCA jack?

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I'll be very interested in how this works out. If possible - start a thread just for that (XBMC/Kodi on RpiB2). If you have time playing with it - can you check performance with XBMC when playing low-def video over the RCA jack?
I think the new one did away with the RCA header and just went with a 4-lead 3.5mm header for analog. Trivial issue really, but worth noting.

Also, my original model B had no trouble with 720P content, and even some 1080P over HDMI. I fail to see why there'd be any issue with SD content.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I think the new one did away with the RCA header and just went with a 4-lead 3.5mm header for analog. Trivial issue really, but worth noting.

Also, my original model B had no trouble with 720P content, and even some 1080P over HDMI. I fail to see why there'd be any issue with SD content.
The problem is when the content is actually coded at 720P or 1080P but the output is 480i. The original Rpi had no problem at 720P, but could not do the coding fast enough to display HD content over the RCA jack - and I'm not going to do SD recodes of everything just for the one old TV in my garage that gets watched while using the treadmill or while puttering on the lab.

Simple problem to solve, really. New TV only costs a $couple-hundred or less. But where's the fun in that? :)

nry

Feb 22, 2013
The new Pi hasn't got the RCA video port any more, and I haven't got a 4 pin 3.5mm lead. Thrown most of these things out as everything is HDMI based now.

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
I have a couple B+ Pi's (now obsoleted by the new version 2), but after discovering low priced Intel Mini-ITX boards (e.g. ECS BAT-I(1.2)/J1800 Intel Celeron J1800 2.41 GHz Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU/VGA Combo - Newegg.com), which have lots more oomph and are more flexible as to what runs on them, I've lost my appetite for Pi. If you're counting pennies, the one I linked goes on sale from time to time at Newegg for just $33 (as compared to today's more typical price of $42). I'm running Linux HomeSeer3 on one right now, and I have a couple more boards that I purchased on the last sale for when something comes up. Idles at around 7-8 watts (including a psu in the watts measurement), so the Pi (well, at least the B+ Pi) still wins at around 2 watts idle.

Seriously, if you're attracted to the Pi, you should look into it. Much better performance and no software hassle, but at a similar price.

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011

nry

Feb 22, 2013
What's 1080p video performance like on one of those boards?

My main purpose for the Pi is control, I have one at each TV location. For example my living room Pi controls my TV (RS232), my projector (RS232), my projector screen (RS232) and some RGB lighting (I2C to Arduino).

Uses about 3w, I can slap it all together in under an hour too :)

Think it really depends what your use is, I'm still not 100% on using the Pis for video.

MatrixMJK

Aug 21, 2014
Reactions: nry

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
The problem is when the content is actually coded at 720P or 1080P but the output is 480i. The original Rpi had no problem at 720P, but could not do the coding fast enough to display HD content over the RCA jack - and I'm not going to do SD recodes of everything just for the one old TV in my garage that gets watched while using the treadmill or while puttering on the lab.

Simple problem to solve, really. New TV only costs a $couple-hundred or less. But where's the fun in that? :)
Ah. I wasn't aware of that issue. How about running RasPlex instead and have all the transcoding done on the fly from the file server?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Another vote for rasplex. I recently caught the raspi bug and ordered 3 for various projects (surveillance cam syncing over network to ZFS box CIFS share and rsyncing every 1 minute to co-lo ZFS box via crontab, plex home theatre frontend in the form of rasplex (my fav), raspbmc/openelec also very good...all connecting to backend Plex svr running on ESXi hypervisor...streams like a dream, and a PBX running incrediblepbx/pbxinaflash on pi). Pretty nifty set of features/service I have deployed on them, very happy w/ HD playback as well on current B+ versions although I may have to spring for a pi2 for my HDMIPI.

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Luckily my wife is a photographer so we have a slew of them laying everywhere. Got one of them fancy raspi logo branded ones w/ a NOOBS image last time to I have been using to flash images recently.

dd if=raspi-distroimage of=/dev/sd(x) bs=1M

Go get a cup o' coffee, off to the races.