Raspberry Pi 2 Model B released

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The site is being hammered so it is hard to read the press release or order at the moment. Here is a link to the press release.

New specs
Quad core Broadcom BCM2836 ARMv7 Quad Core Processor at 900MHz
1GB of RAM
$35 (when/ if you can get one)

Here is the product page and a video:

It is supposed to be compatible with previous models.

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Quad core and 1GB of ram, awesome! I love my Pi's but always wanted more power...
Didn't see that one coming. No doubt that will open it up to even more people - being a .net dev (previously a Linux guy), being able to quickly throw something together for it will be very nice.
Same. That is huge news :D Didn't see that one coming , at all.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Interestingly the ODroid C1 seems to still have better specs at same price point. We will have to compare.

I hope to get time to work on fixes next week

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
Interestingly the ODroid C1 seems to still have better specs at same price point. We will have to compare.

It will be interesting to see the performance difference between the A5 at 1.5Ghz vs the A7 at 900Mhz

Reactions: Patriot

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011

And shipping is just as exorbitant.
The banana pi revision should also be a contender.
Interesting that they chose to stick with 10/100 for network.

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
As for Ethernet, the new Pi is still only USB 2, and the onboard Ethernet has traditionally been connected via USB, via an onboard 3- or 5-port USB hub. So, unless they jump to USB 3 or add Ethernet to their processor directly, it's not going to get any faster.

Reactions: markarr and Patriot

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
Linux-Bench it? @Chuckleb has a thread going in that forum on ARM benchmarks. We do at some point just need to get data to see what is broken.
I will, certainly. No promises when, though, I'm still totally wrecked with flu, I have less than half an hour of doing anything a day at the moment. Apart from lying in bed watch Top Gear reruns and posting on forums the odd time. :)

I'll be interested to see how the new Pi will run Amiga software. The old Pi run most stuff OK, far better than my 040-powered A1200...

RTM

Jan 26, 2014

There is a decent comparison of the two boards on the CNXSoft blog.

It will be interesting to see if the larger community and better software support of the RPI2 can be leveraged to close the performance gap between the two devices.

All in all the extra performance makes it an even more interesting platform.
I think it could be an interesting experiment to use a couple of these boards in a high availability setup as web application servers behind the usual proxy + cache stuff.

mojoxer

Jan 22, 2015
As to the high availability setup - you might want to check out this site:

http://banoffeepiserver.com/

Seems like he's done high availability on both BPi and RPi. Of course, he's cheating by using an x86 for load balancing (LOL), but there's a lot of information there, including some good performance information.

Reactions: RTM and Patrick

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
Radio Spares as usual couldn't cope with the influx of orders, so I didn't get my Pi 2 today. I just got a "We're sorry...." email.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
As for Ethernet, the new Pi is still only USB 2, and the onboard Ethernet has traditionally been connected via USB, via an onboard 3- or 5-port USB hub. So, unless they jump to USB 3 or add Ethernet to their processor directly, it's not going to get any faster.
I'm not sure of the technicals of this but couldn't they still put a gigabit port even though it'd be limited to USB2 speeds of ~30MB/s?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I'm not sure of the technicals of this but couldn't they still put a gigabit port even though it'd be limited to USB2 speeds of ~30MB/s?
USB 3.0 gigabit is somewhat passable. USB 2.0 networking has always been a nightmare for me.