Rant....

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
As a seller are there payment methods out there that offer more protection for overseas transactions?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
It's simply a much bigger hassle, and that's it.

Numerous reasons, but #1 is time/hassle just not worth it when they can sell in USA justfine.

Reactions: Dajinn

kirlcheah

Jan 24, 2015
I have been using forwarders for my purchases in the US in the last 4 years. If a seller doesn't want to sell to you, you need to move on and find another seller.

Well, I might have to stick to it as well, thanks for the advise. But I encounter this in forum only, eBay still works pretty good for me but some items are plain expensive to ship over. Some of the companies charges an arm and a leg to ship it over to you.

kirlcheah

Jan 24, 2015
As a seller are there payment methods out there that offer more protection for overseas transactions?
I only knows China... Alipay. Seven day direct payment after the item has been shipped. If you have a complain, take pictures and send email to alipay to stop payment until the complain has been resolve. Taobao right now is the best payment gateway I know. Better than eBay. eBay is just crazy to extend the complain phase to retract payment up to 6 months. So many people have been scammed in eBay. A few people I know were scammed in eBay. Modus operandi is they said that they can help you to pay a certain bill such as electricity bill. They pay it using eBay. As eBay now is 6 months to return the money in case of complain, what they do it they retract their bill payment after 3 months later and you will find that you have been scammed 3 months later cause your bill is not paid.

kirlcheah

Jan 24, 2015
I only knows China... Alipay. Seven day direct payment after the item has been shipped. If you have a complain, take pictures and send email to alipay to stop payment until the complain has been resolve. Taobao right now is the best payment gateway I know. Better than eBay. eBay is just crazy to extend the complain phase to retract payment up to 6 months. So many people have been scammed in eBay. A few people I know were scammed in eBay. Modus operandi is they said that they can help you to pay a certain bill such as electricity bill. They pay it using eBay. As eBay now is 6 months to return the money in case of complain, what they do it they retract their bill payment after 3 months later and you will find that you have been scammed 3 months later cause your bill is not paid.

Sorry, PayPal to be exact.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
If I want to really scam you, I would scam a much higher value rather than 2 to 300 dollars per item. And spend a fortune to ship it to myself? Am I crazy to do that? I have shipping for item from eBay being shipped to me costing around 100 to 500 usd. If the item is 200 dollars, would I pay double the amount to ship it over? Think about it. It's just not worthwhile for me to scam you.
If you're using a stolen account, the amount you spend on shipping is immaterial, no? "Buy stuff from one place and ship it somewhere else" just has "fraud" written all over it. Maybe you're the exception and are legit, but it basically isn't worth a seller's time to try to figure that out when someone else will get them the same sale with less hassle/risk. It may make your life harder, but if someone running a business sees that overseas transactions are responsible for most of their fraud and very little of their sales, why shouldn't they just stop making those transactions?

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
1) custom officials? Macau is Freeport. All tax free.
2) err... Shipping to US address. The hopshopgo company will fill everything for me and they ship it out by fedex or Dhl.
3) shipping cost by eBay is even more ridiculous, some of them charge double to triple the price of time.
4) insurance? If everything is packed properly, you will not need to claim insurance.

Anyway, I am just ranting here.
what are you looking to buy, I'll ship to your US address.

Reactions: neo

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
is the risk worth it ? lol, about it... most are trustworthy and honest

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I've noticed a lot of foreign eBay sellers selling at ridiculous prices. Still trying to figure out what their game is. I won't buy from a foreign seller unless the price makes it worth the risk. I recently bought a couple of CPU's from a seller in Indonesia because he had by far the cheapest price. All went well and they were delivered promptly. You pays yo nickel and yous takes yo chance.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
For me, it's rep. If the buyer has the rep, and is an established member, and pays. I will ship it and track it and if it is to a non-US location once the tracking leaves the US I say tough shit should something happen. This is all done with a lot of communication. Images of the packaging, and everything done with full transparency because I value my reputation than scamming someone a few bucks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
nah!!
Alipay or taobao( the same company in alibaba)
hard to press on Alipay.. especially you are buying stuff :p..

I prefer ebay than I can press the seller to deal for me when something goes wrong at least refund or reduce price.

if you refer to ebay for paying bills... you ARE insane :p, mostly scamming..

only one important, use common sesnses!!!

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Hey, don't feel to bad. I made an offer to purchase something in this forum and got ignored. :rolleyes:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Is it just me or a lot of the guys do not want to do business outside of US? I am a honest guy who just wants to purchase stuff here and ship it to an address in US and then the facility will redirect my package to me in Macau.

I have been buying a lot of stuff but seems that the guys here are always not selling to me. I am not scamming or anything. Not sure why.... Once they heard that it's outside of US, straight away stop communications.

I been buying a lot of stuff ebay but Ebay sometimes the liquidators just charges too much for shipping. I have been buying a lot of stuff which is in the deals sections and been purchasing like HBA, Brocade 1020s for 10G, Intel Expander and etc. I have also Fibre Channel stuff with switches etc.

%%SCREAM%%. Life is unfair for the people outside US. There is just so many pc deals in the US. In HK / Macau, you want ECC Ram etc, just prepare to wait for ages for them to arrive. And the prices is jack up high.
I'd be just as aggrieved as you if I lived outside of the US and had to look at all of those US-only eBay deals. But, having done a decent amount of overseas selling myself, I totally understand anyone who simply doesn't want to bother with non-US buyers.

On the one hand, the paperwork is annoying and time consuming. Even more troublesome is the fraud. I have had very few problems when selling excess gear on eBay, but all of those problems were with non-US buyers. The overall fraud rate is still quite low even if you do sell to overseas buyers, but if you simply say "no" to all non-US buyers then the fraud rate drops by probably 90% or more.

Now after all that, I have a recommendation for you: Get yourself a freight forwarder if you plan to buy a significant quantity of gear. They'll give you a US address for shipping purposes and completely remove the paperwork burden from the seller. They are best when you buy a bunch of stuff and then have the forwarder bundle it all together into one shipment to you, but could make sense for smaller transactions as well depending on how good the deals are.

5teve

Jan 23, 2015
Perth, Australia
Being Australia Based and offering a flip side to the rant, I have dealt with some of the guys on here and cannot believe how helpful and genuine they are. These are generally people that have experience of overseas shipping (or local shipping for overseas customers) but as mentioned, they have gone out of their way for me, and I was new to the forum at the time. I always ask if they are willing to ship overseas and if the answer is no.. well then its no. I havent tried buying servers or anything big like that yet.. as I can imagine they are hassle! The biggest thing I shipped over was 17 3.5" spinners.. and shipping + product cost was far cheaper than buying locally and shipping locally.

Regarding the perception that shipping internationally is cost prohibitive, shipping from the US to Aus is sometimes cheaper than shipping the same package across Aus, and generally quicker too. Cost of used gear is high as is shipping for bulk items here. New gear isnt too bad price wise strangely!

I understand the frustration.. but as has been said.. keep looking and you will find someone.

Maybe STH should start a global shipping program like ebay has :) deliver locally and receiver ships globally.

Steve

kirlcheah

Jan 24, 2015
If you're using a stolen account, the amount you spend on shipping is immaterial, no? "Buy stuff from one place and ship it somewhere else" just has "fraud" written all over it. Maybe you're the exception and are legit, but it basically isn't worth a seller's time to try to figure that out when someone else will get them the same sale with less hassle/risk. It may make your life harder, but if someone running a business sees that overseas transactions are responsible for most of their fraud and very little of their sales, why shouldn't they just stop making those transactions?

Hi,
To a scammer, using a stolen account is to charge as high as possible in the shortest possible time to take all the money asap. And to make sure that the card is busted before moving to a new card. Like I said, I am shipping with my own name, my own paypal / google address and i make sure all my address is all under my name.
kirlcheah. Anyway, I am travelling everywhere and it's just normal for me to buy stuff and ship it to my house. Understand that I might have address in Malaysia but shipping to Macau.