Rant....

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kirlcheah

Jan 24, 2015
Is it just me or a lot of the guys do not want to do business outside of US? I am a honest guy who just wants to purchase stuff here and ship it to an address in US and then the facility will redirect my package to me in Macau.

I have been buying a lot of stuff but seems that the guys here are always not selling to me. I am not scamming or anything. Not sure why.... Once they heard that it's outside of US, straight away stop communications.

I been buying a lot of stuff ebay but Ebay sometimes the liquidators just charges too much for shipping. I have been buying a lot of stuff which is in the deals sections and been purchasing like HBA, Brocade 1020s for 10G, Intel Expander and etc. I have also Fibre Channel stuff with switches etc.

%%SCREAM%%. Life is unfair for the people outside US. There is just so many pc deals in the US. In HK / Macau, you want ECC Ram etc, just prepare to wait for ages for them to arrive. And the prices is jack up high.

kirlcheah

Jan 24, 2015
Mstone, no disrespect, but I am not paying by credit card. I am paying by PayPal with my name and also this would help in the process. Every single account is using my own name including shipping. So why scared ? There is just so many deals here and I think it's worthwhile that we can buy if everything is legit. I can even furnish my eBay account and you can check. You are getting my money first and you can check your account transfer. It's not a big deal and tell you the truth, most of the Asia credit card comes with chip and it's hard to clone or fraud. Compared to the US cards, you guys mostly have only magnetic stripe which is the easiest to clone.
I have never return anything back in eBay and I have good track record. Unless the parts is really faulty and I have never receive any faulty units because I tell them to pack nicely and double check everything before sending.

If I want to really scam you, I would scam a much higher value rather than 2 to 300 dollars per item. And spend a fortune to ship it to myself? Am I crazy to do that? I have shipping for item from eBay being shipped to me costing around 100 to 500 usd. If the item is 200 dollars, would I pay double the amount to ship it over? Think about it. It's just not worthwhile for me to scam you.

JeffroMart

Jun 27, 2014
I would think it is more from the point that it's a pain to ship to some countries outside of the US, and the time involved with filling out the paperwork and extra headache just isn't worth it for most people.

kirlcheah

Jan 24, 2015
I would think it is more from the point that it's a pain to ship to some countries outside of the US, and the time involved with filling out the paperwork and extra headache just isn't worth it for most people.
Sorry mate, please read my post that I am shipping it to a US address and it will redirect my package to me oversea. Technically, you are shipping it to an US address.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
My reasons for not shipping internationally:

1. Leaving things to the discretion of customs officials, no thanks
2. Having to fill out customs and international forms is a hassle
3. I've found shipping costs to be prohibitive in many cases
4. Insurance requests are already a pain in the ass to deal with in domestic cases, I'd rather not have to deal with them when it comes to foreign affairs. It's easier to follow up with claims and to verify things with US based buyers and sellers since the shipping company doesn't typically hand off to another one(e.g., if I mail something via USPS from US to US USPS can't claim it wasn't their fault and re-direct me to another obscure company that doesn't have easily contactable US support, etc, etc).

When it comes to mailing packages of relatively expensive components and things I don't like leaving things to chance. Buying insurance is already kind of a gamble even domestically. Just think of how many ebay sellers have lost illegitimate claims filed by buyers for ridiculous reasons?

Honestly, if I had to guess in many cases, people choose not to because the perceived opportunity cost is much lower, whether or not the cost itself is a monetary one, or simply time, or the possibility of headaches of dealing with shipping claims and companies, etc. Just not worth it.

kirlcheah

Jan 24, 2015
Sorry, my paypal is Malaysia based but I lived in Macau. Just that I am working here and my wife, kids is all Macanese. Talk about being localized. Macau don't have paypal. So I can't have macau PayPal. And not Hong Kong either which puts me in a bad spot. And Macau sucks for being a small country with 720k people. Therefore, no server or enterprise products being sold locally. I buy all my wares from eBay. Got a fracking 24u of gears. All consumer items only. Even Macau distributor of all the PC stuff is my friend. She sells all asus product.

kirlcheah

Jan 24, 2015
My reasons for not shipping internationally:

1. Leaving things to the discretion of customs officials, no thanks
2. Having to fill out customs and international forms is a hassle
3. I've found shipping costs to be prohibitive in many cases
4. Insurance requests are already a pain in the ass to deal with in domestic cases, I'd rather not have to deal with them when it comes to foreign affairs. It's easier to follow up with claims and to verify things with US based buyers and sellers since the shipping company doesn't typically hand off to another one(e.g., if I mail something via USPS from US to US USPS can't claim it wasn't their fault and re-direct me to another obscure company that doesn't have easily contactable US support, etc, etc).

When it comes to mailing packages of relatively expensive components and things I don't like leaving things to chance. Buying insurance is already kind of a gamble even domestically. Just think of how many ebay sellers have lost illegitimate claims filed by buyers for ridiculous reasons?

Honestly, if I had to guess in many cases, people choose not to because the perceived opportunity cost is much lower, whether or not the cost itself is a monetary one, or simply time, or the possibility of headaches of dealing with shipping claims and companies, etc. Just not worth it.
1) custom officials? Macau is Freeport. All tax free.
2) err... Shipping to US address. The hopshopgo company will fill everything for me and they ship it out by fedex or Dhl.
3) shipping cost by eBay is even more ridiculous, some of them charge double to triple the price of time.
4) insurance? If everything is packed properly, you will not need to claim insurance.

Anyway, I am just ranting here.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
1) custom officials? Macau is Freeport. All tax free.
2) err... Shipping to US address. The hopshopgo company will fill everything for me and they ship it out by fedex or Dhl.
3) shipping cost by eBay is even more ridiculous, some of them charge double to triple the price of time.
4) insurance? If everything is packed properly, you will not need to claim insurance.

Anyway, I am just ranting here.
I am speaking in terms of actually shipping to an international address.

As for your response to point #4, you're making the assumption that every buyer on the planet is trust worthy. You can pack something as well as you want and if someone gets the item and mishandles it themselves they can easily make it look like it was a shipping issue especially if the item had to go over seas and in a plane or on a boat, whatever.

kirlcheah

Jan 24, 2015
I am speaking in terms of actually shipping to an international address.

As for your response to point #4, you're making the assumption that every buyer on the planet is trust worthy. You can pack something as well as you want and if someone gets the item and mishandles it themselves they can easily make it look like it was a shipping issue especially if the item had to go over seas and in a plane or on a boat, whatever.
Okay. I am talking about shipping to US location and then the package will be redirected to me. I know not all buyer is trust worthy but at least trust some of them, like me.... Hehehe. If the packaging is done good enough, it would be okay to survive a plane or boat. I repair slot machines. We ship out thousands of stuff outside including machines and all survive. If there is problem, normally its the last handler. But of course hard to say.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I live in Canada and while I don't use a redirect service I do have a postal service in Washington state. I make it very clear to those I buy from what I am doing to ensure they're comfortable with it. So far I've only had one person who was not comfortable with it and I don't have any hard feelings over it. At the end of the day every intermediary step and service add a bit of risk for the seller and as most of us are not making a business of this the risk isn't worth it.

I agree your shipping service takes most of the hassle out of the equation for the seller so you need to focus on the trust component. Heat is always useful and I don't think I saw any mention of it here. Start off buying some smaller things that people aren't as worried about getting scammed on to build some reputation as a good buyer. Also being more active on the forums in non-sale discussions will help build some credibility for you.

I hope this works out for you in the end, just be prepared to put in a bunch of extra work to get there!

archangel.dmitry

Sep 11, 2015
US
You see, that is problem. It is hard, almost impossible to get money back for US transactions. International transactions are even worse.

There is too much scam going on. Even sites like Ebay will not protect you.

kirlcheah

Jan 24, 2015
I live in Canada and while I don't use a redirect service I do have a postal service in Washington state. I make it very clear to those I buy from what I am doing to ensure they're comfortable with it. So far I've only had one person who was not comfortable with it and I don't have any hard feelings over it. At the end of the day every intermediary step and service add a bit of risk for the seller and as most of us are not making a business of this the risk isn't worth it.

I agree your shipping service takes most of the hassle out of the equation for the seller so you need to focus on the trust component. Heat is always useful and I don't think I saw any mention of it here. Start off buying some smaller things that people aren't as worried about getting scammed on to build some reputation as a good buyer. Also being more active on the forums in non-sale discussions will help build some credibility for you.

I hope this works out for you in the end, just be prepared to put in a bunch of extra work to get there!
Thanks for the advise, but could not do so much as I have 2 little ones and a master thesis to finish. Not an easy job to start commenting in forum.

kirlcheah

Jan 24, 2015
You see, that is problem. It is hard, almost impossible to get money back for US transactions. International transactions are even worse.

There is too much scam going on. Even sites like Ebay will not protect you.
Hmmm... Problem is I haven't even talk about payment. Once I mention oversea shipping, all goner with no response. Just wish at least have some decency to tell me that you are not confortable shipping oversea and sorry about this. That's all. Most of the response is dead cold and will not talk to you anymore like I have done something very wrong. That's manners.

asintado08

Sep 16, 2014
I have been using forwarders for my purchases in the US in the last 4 years. If a seller doesn't want to sell to you, you need to move on and find another seller.