<Rant> Blasted spinny things dying!

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by Quasduco, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Quasduco

Quasduco Active Member

Get an email from my FreeNAS box yesterday saying I had a whopping 16 Offline Uncorrectable Sectors. Not the end of the world, should have a few days to get a replacement in...

Start looking for replacement drive deals, so far nothing thrilling.

Happened to be looking at the drive stats on FreeNAS, when I see something far longer than the million NFS export messages flash by on the bottom log scroll, so I expand the log. The POS went from just a 'start thinking about finding me a replacement' to FreeNAS saying the drive is spitting so many errors, the drive is being ignored, array degraded!

Drive (Original set of 4) is a 3TB Seagate Desktop Drive. Light usage (media, software, etc., storage), total time powered on 1.5 years, with a whopping 64 start/stop cycles.

Best part is, this is the second of the set of 4 to need replacement in the last 2 months... All bought new, of course out of warranty thanks to Seagate cheaping out on warranty...

So, now have to find yet another drive to replace this one, and then I guess get ready for the other 2 to crap out...

So, uh, if anyone spots a deal on either a Hitachi or a WD 3TB 7200 drive (would say Toshiba, but have no experience with them outside of laptop drives), please share!

2. Scott Laird

Scott Laird Active Member

3TB Seagate drive? Is that an ST3000DM001? Good luck then; 1.5-3 years is about how long they last.

I have a dozen dead ones sitting around, and a half dozen or so left running at home. Horrible drives.

Yamabushi likes this.
  3. Quasduco

Quasduco Active Member

Yeah, good call. They really are trash reliability. Sad thing is, they actually were good performance...

4. Patriot

Patriot Moderator

had 2 of 4 fail in 6mo... "friend" who started at seagate convinced me to try them again... nope still shit on consumer drives.

5. gea

gea Well-Known Member

Had a backupsystem with a Raid-Z3 of 15 x 3TB Seagate disks.
    Was the first time, that I had a 3disk failure in a ZFS pool what nearly meant a dataloss.

They worked about 1.5 years without problems and then within half a year
    they died one by next. I trashed them all.

6. TuxDude

TuxDude Well-Known Member

I seem to be one of very few people left that still like Seagate drives - and even I stay away from the 3TB models. Been buying their 4TB NAS drives whenever my home server needs one for quite a while now (both to handle growth, or if an older/smaller drive fails its replaced with a new 4) and have yet to see any issue with any of those drives.

7. Quasduco

Quasduco Active Member

Sadly, I got a replacement for the first one to die with another Seagate, but it only cost like $15, so how could I not?

After that, though, I think Seagate and I are done for...

8. Patriot

Patriot Moderator

Unfortunately my rotation cycle of ... Maybe I will try them again, happens right as they make another lemon model.

9. pricklypunter

pricklypunter Well-Known Member

10. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

That is super interesting. What power supply?

BTW - I was talking to one of the folks that writes IEEE storage reliability articles for the big storage vendors a few years ago. His advice was that with triple parity you had a better chance of a HBA, PSU or other issue taking out your array than disk failure.

11. fractal

fractal Active Member

would now be a good time to backup and upgrade? 4TB drives are still good for price / TB although they are rapidly being replaced by the 6's.

I make lemon scones with my lemons. I don't store my data on them. Reading this thread makes me think you are throwing time and good money after bad..

12. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

@fractal - that is what I tend to do. I just up-size and move to a new pool.

13. herby

herby Active Member

I remember in Backblaze's reliability reports the 3TB Seagate's were terrible but 4TB did pretty well. Maybe not Hitachi/WD good but not bad considering the price if you have redundency .

14. gea

gea Well-Known Member

The array worked well for 1,5 years. Then problems started to become worse and worser over time as one disk by the next fail (not completely but produce errors), with a resilver time getting longer and longer in the end.

It was definitly not a PSU problem but a problem with the 3TB Seagate Constellation. I read a report with the presumption that the hd dust filter was the problem as it fails after a year resulting in extreme failure rates.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  15. unwind-protect

Those 3 TB Segates are garbage. Specifically they develop hard rear errors and if you don't scrub regularly they are guaranteed to take your array down.

Now try to get your warranty from Seagate. They'll say they have left the factory ca. anno 1684 and it is expired.

16. ttabbal

ttabbal Active Member

And if they did warranty them, they would probably send another POS 3tb.