Random Issues with Raid Controller and Expander. - Help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ibby

Jan 21, 2016
Right guys I have a bit of a serious issue, please let me explain and I am hoping someone can help a little.

I have a home server that acts as a windows hypervisor. Its a Windows server 2012 box with 2 cpus and a ton of memory.

It has a raid card an Fujitsu D2616 with the most current up to date firmware and drivers. It has been cross flashed.

The card has two ports one of these ports has a RES2SV240 card installed. At the end of the expanded I have two hotswap enclosures ( 5 bays each)

I have used quality cables and connectors and have always purchased new and this configuration has been working for 6 to 9 months without any issues.

Since the 13-09 I have had two issues at random times of the day. I have an error ID 166 "controller ID 1 Communication lost on enclosure:1" This is the Intel expander.

Yesterday this has happened twice 14:25 and 15:29 when this event happens it pulls my raid down and I loose all the drives. The drives then re-appear in the controller as "unconfigured bad" and have red lights next to all the drives on the lsi gui.

I have powered everything down and ensured all the cables and inserted in correctly and all look well.

I have also re-loaded the expander firmware and lsi controller firmware in the hope its just a firmware issue.
The expander and the hdd enclosures are powered by a separate power-supply in an old intel sc5200 case.
This case has two powersupplies which I am sure are around 400watts each.

I am lost for ideas?

Ideas?