Random Hardware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
Yeah I was totally kidding, this clown has been a royal PITA but we will have to take the high road. Hopefully everyone is getting their refunds and he is just being uncommunicative.
Agreed. I don't even care about the money (ok I do a little) I just wanted my drives!

Aug 17, 2016
wow, what a thread. I am so glad I did not send any money.
I told him it would take 6 business days to move funds from my accounts to his paypal and he said no as it would take too long and the stuff would be sold by then.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Here's some juicy info on our friend Geene, I left him a final note.

"You’ve got one more chance in my books, I’m the only one that has been giving you the benefit of the doubt, I’m also the one with the most info and have done the most digging on you. Don’t make me call the Spring Branch Central, Houston police…"

Hopefully, he makes a wise decision. Here are some IPs and info that I quickly grabbed. Geene - Click to see more photos
Thanks for all the sleuthing! Unfortunately the local fraud department is closed right now but I will be calling them tomorrow to file a complaint. I will show them to this thread and hopefully this guy will get caught.

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
Anytime, I have more and VERY LONG texts with Geene. Let me know the outcome.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Anytime, I have more and VERY LONG texts with Geene. Let me know the outcome.
Same here, texts and messages on this forum. I will give them this thread and see if they would like any more info. I may gather everyone's conversations to give to them if asked, I really want this guy behind bars... Since we've determined it's a pattern I guarantee he will try this again.

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
@Jeff Robertson it's pretty hard to say at this point. If this guy is skilled in con-ing people, then it's difficult to say if our information is even true at this point.

The thing that makes me think he might be smart is how he made the post so enticing to all of us by acting somewhat innocent and pulling people in by not knowing much about the hardware or it's values, but again I can't know for sure where the truth lies.

At the same time it seems like amateur work if @NSKA 's IP tracking was accurate, mainly due to how it caught both his cell-phone and a personal home computer's IP and location info.

That being said, he's either particularly smart and won't be caught (whether due to IP spoofing and other clever means) and might do this sort of thing regularly, OR he's honestly just not very technically-inclined/smart and tried messing with bigger fish than he could deal with for once (which I would doubt he's tried before with this sort of thing).

Long story short, I think we all just re-lived/learned an all too familiar lesson about buying stuff from publicly accessible forums. Particularly in the cases where someone new (like myself, but I promise my posts are legitimate) posts "bait" that's so enticing that we can't resist.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
The thing that makes me think he might be smart is how he made the post so enticing to all of us by acting somewhat innocent and pulling people in by not knowing much about the hardware or it's values, but again I can't know for sure where the truth lies.
Sadly this isn't any particular sign of great smarts on his part. This is just taking advantage of human nature much like any other scammer that offers a unusually high benefit to cost ratio. The same consumer protections from Paypal and CC companies that make everyone here more comfortable taking the risk also lead to more apathy when the scam is eventually proven, as people tend to not want to spend the effort of filing with the police once they have their money back. This guy is basically reading from the textbook.

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
@Jeff Robertson it's pretty hard to say at this point. If this guy is skilled in con-ing people, then it's difficult to say if our information is even true at this point.

At the same time it seems like amateur work if @NSKA 's IP tracking was accurate, mainly due to how it caught both his cell-phone and a personal home computer's IP and location info.

That being said, he's either particularly smart and won't be caught (whether due to IP spoofing and other clever means) and might do this sort of thing regularly, OR he's honestly just not very technically-inclined/smart and tried messing with bigger fish than he could deal with for once (which I would doubt he's tried before with this sort of thing).

Long story short, I think we all just re-lived/learned an all too familiar lesson about buying stuff from publicly accessible forums. Particularly in the cases where someone new (like myself, but I promise my posts are legitimate) posts "bait" that's so enticing that we can't resist.

I'm almost positive it is pure stupidity.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
This guy has some big ones... My paypal refund was initially denied since he said I picked it up locally. He certainly knows how to drag things on. The rep I got was great and refunded the money right then and there but damn, I have to give it to him he's tenacious.

Reactions: Patriot

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
I read through this miserable saga. I am looking for hard drives, and when I started reading this, I got excited and wished I could have gotten in on it. I guess it is a lesson for all of us.

Has anyone taken the step of filing the appropriate complains with police, FBI, etc.? It might be good for the site to have a reputation to aggressively pursue scammers with the authorities.