RAM Check on Xeon Silver Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Caleb

Nov 16, 2015
The Supermicro SC847 chassis of yours only allows 2U heatsinks. I use the Supermicro socket 3647 2U active heatsink (SNK-P0068APS4) myself in a SC826 2U chassis, but have replaced the stock fan with a quieter Noctua 60mm fan - with great results. Others have had good results with the Dynatron B5 cooler. That's basically the two choices you have when it comes to active 2U socket 3647 coolers, at least as far as I am aware of.

I also purchased the Supermicro 4U socket 3647 (SNK-P0070APS4) heatsink for an upcoming project of mine, but that one won't fit into your SC847 chassis.
Thank you dude! I had originally ordered the Supermicro heat sink, but it came with a broken clip on the plastic. Went to RMA it with Newegg and it was out of stock. Multiple searches showed zero stock, but thankfully I eventually found the Supermicro online store had it in stock. Good to know about the Dynatron cooler too.

maia

Nov 1, 2017
Portugal
EDIT: Also, I've emailed Noctua as their solution for socket 3647 should be out in late 2017... Let's see if they reply.
FYI, I've just received this email from Noctua Support:

"I'm afraid at this point in time we do not have any coolers for this platform. However we're still working on it and we hope to release something next year."

Reactions: jbcarpenter

JDM

Jun 25, 2016
How is the machine performing? I am about to build a very similar setup....

This will all go in a Supermicro SC847 case. Any recommendations or concerns regarding the above build?

Thanks!
Following up on this after having a fair amount of time with this machine, it is performing phenomenally. I don't have the heaviest of CPU workloads, but the 4114 has been more than enough for my needs. The 900P Optane drives have been out of this world. It's at the point with the VM's (either CentOS 7 or Ubuntu 16.04) that reboots are almost like a network glitch. It happens so fast you barely notice it happening. So far no stability issues to speak of either (knocks on wood). I'm waiting on a metered PDU here to get this machine's exact usage, however based on the load it added to the UPS it's pulling somewhere between 120-160 watts depending on load.

At this point in the game, I'm not sure if there's anything I'd change. Maybe by front 2.5" drive choice as the SATA drives don't appear to be leveraging the activity lights on the chassis (even checked during scrub), but no impact on functionality. Looking like this thing will last me a loooong time.