rail - 1u SM (but full length pull out) (supermicro)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
I have a few 1u supermicro servers (1u chassis = CSE-815 , is 1u and full length at ~24" in length/depth).

I need the SM rail kit that allows me to slide the server all the way out (not just half way).

I think these are my two , correct, options, however SM's site does not make clear which kit allows full length slide out, and which only pulls out ~ half way.

($50) (CSE-PT51L):

($93) (MCP-290-00054-0N):

I assume the more expensive $93 kit is the one which will allow full length pull out, but i wanted to confirm with others before i place the order.

(im not sure why supermicro does not specify this directly on N items' page as i have had this same issue with finding rail kits on their site for other 2u,4u SM servers- and even ordered the wrong type before :( )

thanks!

2 options;
1645466671145.png

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
They both indicate that they can extend the same length. The likely reason why the latter is more expensive is because it's the tool-free version that does not require any cage nuts.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
They don't deliberately make rails that only pull out halfway, but there are rails designed for short-depth cases like CSE-512, which don't pull out as far. You'll also want to check the range of rack depths accommodated by the rails and ensure your rack falls within the range. (Re-racking everything to adjust the depth of the rack would be a big pain.)

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Thanks for the replies, Im still a bit confused-

First , i should have been more clear- I have the Depth of the rack covered (ie the distance from the front 2x posts, to the back 2x posts) - im only asking about how far the server can be "pulled" out, once it is fully mounted on X rail kit.

They both indicate that they can extend the same length
thanks - but Where are you seeing that? ie they both indicate they can extend the same length? (or maybe you are refering to the depth of the rack, ie distance between the 2x sets of posts? if so, that is not what im asking about in this post).

Regardless, it seems that going with the $50 kit (CSE-PT51L) should do what i need (as i dont care about tool/tool-less , in this situation).

They don't deliberately make rails that only pull out halfway, but there are rails designed for short-depth cases like CSE-512, which don't pull out as far.
Thanks for your reply. However, my experience says otherwise WRT your quote above, as my main source of confusion over this is a few years ago i ordered several 2U supermicro rail kits, only to discover once they were installed , they would only allow the server to be pulled out about 1/2 way (these were on FULL length 2u and 4u SM servers, not half length ones). I then ordered a more expensive version (still SM kit) and that allowed for full length pull out.

Is there anyone who can 1st hand confirm what SM rail kit they used with a SM 1u server (and that allows full length pull out?)

(or maybe im just misguided by that one unfortunate 2u situation above, and full length pull out is the norm)

thanks