RAIDzilla 2.5 (128TB) upgrade

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Just wanted to say thanks for the write up(s.) I especially liked looking at your first build, the original RAIDZilla. In that 11yr old article you commented on how amazing it was to have 2GB DIMMs in such a small physical space! I guess I'm just used to it by now but it's truly amazing how much can change over a decade in IT. Anyway, thanks for documenting your systems!
Thanks! As I mentioned in that post, 8KB of core memory (for a Data General Eclipse S/200) was $22,000 in 1976. That system had a whopping 10MB of disk, too!

I just finished building this kit. The CPU for it is a Raspberry Pi, and it is something like 20x faster when emulating the PDP-11/70 (complete with the front panel) than the original 11/70. The original cost $80,000 for a stripped-down unit (CPU only, minimal memory, no disk) in 1975. The Raspberry Pi 3 B+ is $40.

Just saw some pics of your setup..is that rackmount clock linked to NTP? Or just a "regular" clock. Got a link for it?
NTP. It is from CSS Time Machines (now just Time Machines). It is running custom firmware they made for me - believe it or not, their "normal" idea of military time doesn't have the leading zero!

If you go to this page, you can follow my servers all the way back to late 1999.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
why use freeBSD vs Microsoft Storage Server 2016? Is it because of costs?
Freebsd has openzfs.

It's faster/"better" becuase of it's advanced caching mechanisms and other features like checksums, copy-on-write and so on.
Microsoft is catching up with storage spaces and refs, but they are still lagging behind with the performance (especially with parity volumes) and features of zfs.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Please show us the picture of your PDP 11, how much the kit cost?
Pictures below. I don't want to quote a price on the kit because I got an 'early adopter' special. Looks like the regular price is $250 + shipping, found here. You will also need a Raspberry Pi to run it. You can request to be added to a mailing list when the next batch of kits are available, on that same page.

Reactions: Marsh and rubylaser