Raidz Question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mark

Nov 6, 2014
Hi Guys,

I've been searching but struggling to find what I'm looking for. How is reliability 18 Disk RaidZ2 setup? The RAID Reliability Calculator only has RaidZ3. Right now I've got 2 x (6x2TB RaidZ2) with 14.6TB usable space. I was thinking about rebuilding and moving to 18 x 2TB in RaidZ2 to cut down on overhead. But I do realize I would be getting rid of parity drives and I don't want to expose myself to reliability issues. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Mark

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Not speaking from personal testing, but I have always read you should not go over 6 disks for RAIDZ2

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
RAIDZ2 and RAID 6 offer the same level of parity. There are fundamental underlying differences but for parity calculations they are similar.

Mark

Nov 6, 2014
RAIDZ2 and RAID 6 offer the same level of parity. There are fundamental underlying differences but for parity calculations they are similar.
Thank you. Based on the calculator there is a very very small chance of failure for Raid 6. Yet if I move to RaidZ3 with 19 disk its showing 0%.

mjt5282

Jul 18, 2015
I wouldn't recommend changing your 2 raidz2 pools into 1 larger z3 pool - while it is reliable with larger disks (3Tb and beyond) the resilver times would be very long.

mjt5282

Jul 18, 2015
There are practical limitations to the number of pdevs in a zfs vdev depending on what RAID level you're going with. I don't know what that point of diminishing returns is with raidz2 vdevs but I'm pretty sure that 18 pdevs is past it.
I run a media/mkv/flac server - i have a supermicro case with 16 drives - i was running a big raidz3 with 11 or 13 disks. I realized that the blu ray rips were taking up a large portion of the storage and I thought about splitting up into a 3Tb x 6 raidz2 and a 3Tb x 10 raidz2 .

I have thought further about splitting out my audio flac files into a separate small mirror because they are most likely the reason for the disks to spin up (streaming audio during the day or night).

i recently replaced a failing WD green drive on my 10 drive raidz2 pool, it took 24 h 12 m to resilver. This is with SATA3 and consumer WD Green/Red 3Tb drives. a "wider" raidz3 pool would probably take longer than that, with SATA3 and comparable drives.

Perhaps I should have bought a 4U instead of a 3U SM chassis so I could optimize for the audio streaming case. I am also very interested in the new 8Tb Seagate archive drives. They seem a perfect fit (with some more development) for a COW file system like zfs.

Last edited: