RAID controllers power consumption

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

falagar

Mar 27, 2016
Hi,

I own a standard PC, with linux software RAID-5, running Debian Jessie. I am currently planning to build a virtualization home server.

I am used to ESXi, but it requires a hardware RAID controller (no support for software RAID) and I did not find any real alternative (do not want to go with MS virtualization suite). So I am planning to buy a hardware card, but I'd like to minimize the power consumption of this home server.

Any advice or measurement please ?

Thanks,

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Many raid cards are in the ball park of 10watts. How much do you want to optimize?
For example, the popular and cheap 8 port LSI SAS2008 based IBM M1015 (IDLE: 7 Watt).

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
If you want to minimize power consumption, pick some simple raid-level (0,1,10). If you go for anything higher requiring parity-calculations (5/6), controller will be really hot and power-consumption will be much higher...

btw ESXi does not do disk-caching, so pick controller with on-board cache. Cheap controllers like M1015 might sound tempting but without cache they deliver terribly low performance in ESXi (unless you use it for pass-through)...

hjfr

Nov 21, 2013
France
Most of real RAID cards (hardware raid 5 card with memory) operating at 12~15W.
This information is on the datasheet.