Raid configuration with zfs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bibin

Dec 10, 2015
Hi,

We are having 6 disks on our server with 5x480GB ssd and 1x120GB SSD and trying to figure out the best raid configuration. We are looking to configure with raidZ2 with 5 disks and to use one disk for centos installation. But I am afraid if it makes issues when the installation drive fails. Because the installation drive controlls are the zpool configuration. Please advice us.

Thanks for your help!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
ZFS configuration is on the Z2 pool.
You can insert the disks basically in any OpenZFS platform and import the pool.

You do not need any config files on your systemdisk.

bibin

Dec 10, 2015
Hi,

I am trying to configure zfs on the centos platform. I believe that we can 't use the installation drive as zpool vdev. Is it possible to use the installation drive as a zpool vdev?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hi,

I am trying to configure zfs on the centos platform. I believe that we can 't use the installation drive as zpool vdev. Is it possible to use the installation drive as a zpool vdev?
I would just do a standard install on the OS disk, then use ZFS for data disks. Proxmox is the only ZFS on Linux implementation that I have used that can install onto a zfs root pool easily.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I might even look at using that little SSD as a SLOG device or something for the array, it seems like a potential waste of a fast disk to me :)

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I think the configuration is perfectly fine. I would pull all drives and just put in the 120G for the OS. Install your OS to that. Slide in the remaining drives and configure ZFS against the pool. As mentioned earlier, the ZFS metadata is stored with the volume. This is why you can pull the drives and install elsewhere, then re-import the array. Most RAID systems store array metadata on the disk somewhere as is the case with hardware RAID or software-based systems.