RAID 10 question - mixing hard drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zogthegreat

Jan 20, 2019
Hi everyone!

So I'm using some old hardware to build a home server for SMB and NextCloud. I have 4 x Seagate 2TB 5900 rpm HDD's that I'm planning to run in a RAID 10, giving me a total of 4TB storage. These are the weird drives that Seagate put out some time ago with the strange rotational speed.

I also have 3 x's Seagate 2TB 7200 rpm HDD's that I'm thinking to grab a matching drive on eBay so that I have another 4TB of storage in RAID 10 configuration.

My question is there any way I can merge the 2 RAID 10 array's into one storage device, (8TB total), under /home in Debian server even though the 2 RAID arrays have different speeds?

Thanks!

zog

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
stripe over raid-10 (raid 100) or just concatenate the two raid -10's in the o/s

zogthegreat

Jan 20, 2019
Hi mrkrad,

So from my Googling, what I can see is that if I create 2 RAID 10's and then using mdadm, I merge the to containers into one volume. Do you recommend using hardware RAID for the RAID 10 containers, or would you do everything soft RAID?

Thanks

zog