RAID 0 with 1 drive

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ed.

Oct 4, 2014
Hi everyone, just after some input:

I have a spare 9267-8i card with 512MB cache, I connected it to a 2 year old 512GB Samsung Evo 560 SSD and used the Avago MegaRAID software wizard to create a single RAID O drive with no redundancy. I primarily wanted to used that card just to use the 512mb Cache and do not need a RAID, also I do not want to buy another RAID card with JBOD if I can just keep using the 9267-8i card.

It seemed to work for a while ( 2 weeks) until the system started crashing, turned out it had CRC errors on the drive, I ran the Samsung Magician software which removed the CRC errors but it still would not boot properly off it.

So what I was wondering is, did that drive just fail because it just became faulty or could it be that being in a RAID O single drive setup caused the the SSD to fail?

Secondly will that 512 Cache make any significant or even any difference on the SSD's thoughput.

I have sent that drive back under warranty and still waiting for a replacement but don't want to connect the replacement SSD to the RAID card if it is going to cause the same issue.

Cheers

Diavuno

Hi everyone, just after some input:

I have a spare 9267-8i card with 512MB cache, I connected it to a 2 year old 512GB Samsung Evo 560 SSD and used the Avago MegaRAID software wizard to create a single RAID O drive with no redundancy. I primarily wanted to used that card just to use the 512mb Cache and do not need a RAID, also I do not want to buy another RAID card with JBOD if I can just keep using the 9267-8i card.

It seemed to work for a while ( 2 weeks) until the system started crashing, turned out it had CRC errors on the drive, I ran the Samsung Magician software which removed the CRC errors but it still would not boot properly off it.

So what I was wondering is, did that drive just fail because it just became faulty or could it be that being in a RAID O single drive setup caused the the SSD to fail?

Secondly will that 512 Cache make any significant or even any difference on the SSD's thoughput.

I have sent that drive back under warranty and still waiting for a replacement but don't want to connect the replacement SSD to the RAID card if it is going to cause the same issue.

Cheers
I seem to recall that samsung consumer drives and LSI/Avago cards do not get along well.
Im guessing thats your problem right there

A Raid card will provide a VERY slight (if any) boost to speed in random IO. It will not increase sustained speeds.

I would not recommend running a RAID card for a single disk, thats just more things to go wrong with little/no gains.

Ed.

Oct 4, 2014
I seem to recall that samsung consumer drives and LSI/Avago cards do not get along well.
Im guessing thats your problem right there

A Raid card will provide a VERY slight (if any) boost to speed in random IO. It will not increase sustained speeds.

I would not recommend running a RAID card for a single disk, thats just more things to go wrong with little/no gains.
I am just wandering if the fact that I setup up that drive as a single drive RAID O was the reason it failed or just a faulty hard SSD.