Racking a Compucase S400 J04

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

V_K

Dec 23, 2014
Hi

First post, and may I start by wishing everyone here a Happy New Year.

I only recently learned of this site from stumbling upon one of its old threads relative to my issue while I was searching for suitable rails for my chassis. So I thought I'd sign up and post in hope of help, what with receiving none from companies and retailers.
Slide rails are not really my area of expertise, not that it should be a matter of skill, but nevertheless I'm hoping you guys will know of suitable slide rails based on the following info and specs of my setup, but also from any of your own experiences--maybe one of you guys has the same chassis? Any links and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Con...

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

V_K

Dec 23, 2014
I own the Compucase/HEC S400 J04 (410mm/16.1'' depth). I initially tried my luck at attaching the only compucase slide rail available - the SR2-26K, which is 26'' inches. The rail is apparently compatible with 'the full range' of their chassis', but not mine it seems... The inner rail screw holes matched the chassis holes, however, when I attempted to slide-in the chassis for the first time the inner (chassis) rails warped towards each other stopping traction, which must of been due to the fact that they over exceeded the depth of the chassis by approx 9''. But regardless of the slide problem, I also wasn't happy with the rail's 26'' length protruding out the back of the rack enough for them to banish the the option of attaching a rear door, as the rack has a usable depth of 24.4".

In short; I'm looking for slide rails suitable for the following two Items:

Compucase S400-JO4 Chassis (Link)
  • Depth: 16.1'' inch
  • Current Weight: 12 kg
  • 15 rail-ready screw holes either side for, and I quote "M4 or M5 or #8-32 UNF 3/8'' Screw". Here is a picture link of my chassis hopefully showing a clear measurement of the distance between each of the 15 screw holes (arrowed, starting left-right, a zoom feature is available at the top right)
  • Width: approx 42.5 cm - 42.7cm max
Middle Atlantic Rack (Link)
  • Usable Depth: 24.4" inch
  • Rackrail Type: 10-32 (threaded)
This (Link) shows what the two items currently look like together!

Thanks

Vince

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Vince, I agree hard when there is not a lot of information there. Interesting case as a short depth 4U.

If I were really in a pinch, I might try the universal rails as an option just to get it mounted. There were some popular for the Dell C6100 which would probably work and other options like the Gruber rails we looked at awhile ago. Certainly not a perfect option but may get you to a better place than you are now.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
IStar makes some good generic rails that I have used on all kinds of equipment. Only thing I would say is keep the screws from your kit to make sure you have screws that fit to attach the rail to the case.

I had a racksables server that had odd threading and had to get different screws.

Edit: They were iStar... Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com

Last edited:

V_K

Dec 23, 2014
Patrick, nitro - thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

IStar makes some good generic rails that I have used on all kinds of equipment. Only thing I would say is keep the screws from your kit to make sure you have screws that fit to attach the rail to the case.
I will look into the iStar TC-RAIL-20, as this is like the only other universal slide rail I found a while back--IPC-Rail24, which I may of ended up buying had the retailer confirmed its compatibility with my chassis.

With regard to screws; My chassis wasn't supplied with any! But I see the iStar rail features the right size--M4.

Vince, I agree hard when there is not a lot of information there. Interesting case as a short depth 4U.

If I were really in a pinch, I might try the universal rails as an option just to get it mounted. There were some popular for the Dell C6100 which would probably work and other options like the Gruber rails we looked at awhile ago. Certainly not a perfect option but may get you to a better place than you are now.

Due to Universal usually being fixed (other than the only two above that I've encountered); they have therefore been my fall-back-on plan from the start. Locking telescopic is definitely my primary choice for the efficiency of server release.

A while back I went to the lengths of emailing a bunch of OEM slide rail companies to request a possible quote for one pair! But, surprise surprise; I never got a reply from any of them!

Another last resort I thought of was buying a pair of slides with the closest depth and have someone drill new holes through it where needed.

Guys, If there is anything else out there that you think may be suited then please don't hesitate to forward it on to me.

Many thanks

Vince

V_K

Dec 23, 2014
When I think about it; basically the ideal universal slide rail for my particular 4U chassis and cabinet would comprise of the following:
  • Length: approx 16.1''
  • Adjustable bracket: extendible to 24.4'' max
Anyone know of anything out there fitting this description, or close enough?

Thanks

Vince

Last edited:

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
At work, we have a set of rack cabinets that are short as well. Most of the machines we get are built on Supermicro chassis. We have found that they make a shorter version of their standard rails that are identical in every way except length. If you've never worked with SM rails, they are really nice and smooth. I can't vouch whether they will work with your case but here is the part number: MCP-290-00058-0N

V_K

Dec 23, 2014
At work, we have a set of rack cabinets that are short as well. Most of the machines we get are built on Supermicro chassis. We have found that they make a shorter version of their standard rails that are identical in every way except length. If you've never worked with SM rails, they are really nice and smooth. I can't vouch whether they will work with your case but here is the part number: MCP-290-00058-0N

Thanks, I checked it out. Though I see its exclusive for their chassis.

I'm not certain what the specs mean by 19'' to 26.6''. Are they saying that the rails are 19'', but features extendible brackets up to 26.6''?

Does your work use this particular model on any 4Us? As its classed for 2,3U.

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
Thanks, I checked it out. Though I see its exclusive for their chassis.

I'm not certain what the specs mean by 19'' to 26.6''. Are they saying that the rails are 19'', but features extendible brackets up to 26.6''?

Does your work use this particular model on any 4Us? As its classed for 2,3U.

Sorry, about that. I was running out to go to a hockey game and couldn't remember if they were specific to SM chassis or not.

The rails are collapsible/expandable and will fit racks that are 19" to 26.6" deep.

We do have them on 4U machines. If you go to their 4U chassis product pages, these rails will show up as an optional part. I don't know why they show them as being for 2U and 3U systems, but they are listed as options for 4U as well.

V_K

Dec 23, 2014
Sorry, about that. I was running out to go to a hockey game and couldn't remember if they were specific to SM chassis or not.

The rails are collapsible/expandable and will fit racks that are 19" to 26.6" deep.

We do have them on 4U machines. If you go to their 4U chassis product pages, these rails will show up as an optional part. I don't know why they show them as being for 2U and 3U systems, but they are listed as options for 4U as well.
So am I right in saying that the actual rail is 19'', but with the use of brackets can expand the mounting depth up to 26.6''?

Thanks

V_K

Dec 23, 2014
Anyone know of a company or person that would build a pair of server slides to custom spec?

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
So am I right in saying that the actual rail is 19'', but with the use of brackets can expand the mounting depth up to 26.6''?

Thanks
That's not really the right way of looking at it. SM rails are extendable from the start. They slide in and out of themselves. (see here: http://i.imgur.com/gROiELI.jpg) Notice the slot on the one section, the other section slides inside this slot to the length of your cabinet. However, you have to have both sections to have both sets of ears to screw into the rack rails. All SM rails follow this similar pattern.

found a video:
This is for an IBM but it is similar. At least for SM rails you can use round hole rails or square holes. The ones in the video are for square hole.

Hanss

Apr 3, 2013
Cornfield
Last edited:

V_K

Dec 23, 2014
That's not really the right way of looking at it. SM rails are extendable from the start. They slide in and out of themselves. (see here: http://i.imgur.com/gROiELI.jpg) Notice the slot on the one section, the other section slides inside this slot to the length of your cabinet. However, you have to have both sections to have both sets of ears to screw into the rack rails. All SM rails follow this similar pattern.

found a video:
This is for an IBM but it is similar. At least for SM rails you can use round hole rails or square holes. The ones in the video are for square hole.
I'm a bit confused, though I think I may of through you off too with the way I explained my last question.

I was referring to the posts ('outer rack rails' - that mount front-back of rack) perhaps extending to 26.6''with the use of brackets?
I did not mean the the inner (chassis) rails that slide in/out through the posts.

So with that said;
1. I want universal slides, or otherwise exclusives that would need new holes drilled--to have a length no greater than the chassis depth of 16.1'' so the inner (chassis) rails wont warp inwards (like I experienced with the last 26'' ones that obviously over exceeded the chassis).

2. On account of a 16.1'' chassis depth vs the racks 24.4'' mount depth--Any future rail I acquire approx to 16.1'' would need the outer rails (posts) to feature rear brackets extending its *mounting length* (not rail length) to at least 24.4''

Do you see what I mean now? Or maybe you already did, and it's just me confused with your comment. However, above is what I'm trying to achieve.

Really appreciating all the help so far
I know its crazy that a 'case' of this nature has 'extended' to this 'length' ;-)

V

Last edited: