Rackable systems 3U 16 bay SAS/Sata JBOD w/ expander - $175

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Nice used to be $20-25 more. 10% less expensive now. Almost the cost of the internal cables lol.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Wait...not so good of a deal?
i had never seen these...figured it was a steal compared to a Norco DSE

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
My post on these from June 2012 ;).

They are tempting, have been reported to handle 3TB+ drives and so look like quite a good deal but it is best to check the unit you are going to get as the older gen have metal drive tray latches rather than the pictured plastic ones. Some people have reported getting the older models even though the ebay sale pictures the newer (and much better looking IMO) units.

RB

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Wait...not so good of a deal?
i had never seen these...figured it was a steal compared to a Norco DSE
Still very good deal. 3.0 gb/s expander inside. ATX power supply. Takes 4TB drives. Very popular 2nd hand item. Can search the forums for the SE3016

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
ATX power supply
Except for the cable genders, which are reversed. I looked at modding the case to use a standard ATX power supply to reduce the noise only to find out that I would also have to mod all of the internal cables. Certainly do-able, I just didn't get round to it. I opted to replace the case and power supply fans to reduce the noise.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
My post on these from June 2012 ;).

They are tempting, have been reported to handle 3TB+ drives and so look like quite a good deal but it is best to check the unit you are going to get as the older gen have metal drive tray latches rather than the pictured plastic ones. Some people have reported getting the older models even though the ebay sale pictures the newer (and much better looking IMO) units.

RB
LOL.....Year and half late to the party.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
$500 buys you a Mds600 with dual i/o again !! MANY IN STOCK !! each one has 35 SAS 3gbps slots - tie that up to your MSA or P812 external controller and rock n roll!

You can buy 5 cabinets and do a 10 way raid with 350 4TB RE4 drives for an insanely stupid amount of drives.

Blade owners do this with 2 to 5 cabinets, and zone a drive from each cabinet with a SAS switch from QLOGIC. 70 DRIVES, redundant power (!!!!MUST!!!!) it's back !! i think it has 3 or 4 1200 watt power supplies muahaha

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Is someone on eBay offering MSA600s for cheap again? If so, share the link!

$500 buys you a MSA600 with dual i/o again !! MANY IN STOCK !! each one has 35 SAS 3gbps slots - tie that up to your MSA or P812 external controller and rock n roll!

You can buy 5 cabinets and do a 10 way raid with 350 4TB RE4 drives for an insanely stupid amount of drives.

Blade owners do this with 2 to 5 cabinets, and zone a drive from each cabinet with a SAS switch from QLOGIC. 70 DRIVES, redundant power (!!!!MUST!!!!) it's back !! i think it has 3 or 4 1200 watt power supplies muahaha

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Look nice.

Anyone know if they come with drive trays or not. 70x drive trays will set people back a pretty packet.

Also SATA II (3Gbps) over 4 SAS cables will bottleneck the drives in certain scenarios.
4 cables x4 lanes per cable x3Gbps = 48Gbps or 6GB/s
6000MB/s split between 70 drives = 85MB/s.

Not a concern for archiving so much but possibly an issue for performance systems.

Still looks like a fantastic deal.

Also note the recommended temps for it are 34c and that, according to the specs, it will shut itself down if it goes over these temps. That may be an issue for me ;).

EDIT: Seems the seller has more IO modules but at US$655 each.

RB

Last edited:

MACscr

May 4, 2011
Look nice.

Anyone know if they come with drive trays or not. 70x drive trays will set people back a pretty packet.

Also SATA II (3Gbps) over 4 SAS cables will bottleneck the drives in certain scenarios.
4 cables x4 lanes per cable x3Gbps = 48Gbps or 6GB/s
6000MB/s split between 70 drives = 85MB/s.

Not a concern for archiving so much but possibly an issue for performance systems.

Still looks like a fantastic deal.

Also note the recommended temps for it are 34c and that, according to the specs, it will shut itself down if it goes over these temps. That may be an issue for me ;).

EDIT: Seems the seller has more IO modules but at US$655 each.

RB
Where the heck are you getting the 70 drive number? No one in their right mind would run that many drives on a single node with those cheap jbods.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Where the heck are you getting the 70 drive number? No one in their right mind would run that many drives on a single node with those cheap jbods.
Read the advert, read the specs, read the manual. Oh heck I will save you the effort.
HHp StorageWorks Modular Disk System 600 with two Dual Port I/O Module System - Hard drive array - 70 bays ( SATA-300 / SAS ) - 0 x HD - Serial Attached SCSI (external) - rack-mountable - 5U -
Hp Overstock Excess - Ships in Hp Box w/out Rails
P/N AJ866A
The unit has 70 drive bays spread over two draws. That is where I got the 70 drive from. Sort of hard to miss really.

Clearly people do want 70 drives bays on a single node otherwise products like this would not exist from a number of vendors.

The drives can be zoned for different controllers / servers and redundancy can be built in at a hardware (SAS controller) or software level (zfs etc). Redundancy can also be achieved across multiple units like they do with the BackBlaze pods.

Current system price new is US$8,500.

I would hardly call a $8.5k JOBD cheap regardless of the cost someone is dumping them on EBay for.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
35 drives per zone. They also make a version that removes a zone and puts some servers (ala c6100 style) in place. I think it runs lefthand (storevirtual).

But anyhoo, these are dual i/o dual domain - so if you have dual ported sas drives, you have 4 paths. Not all o/s and raid controller can work with that.

Most folks line up two blade system with a sas switch, this would allow them to zone the drives like FC. The unit has plenty of power and redundant.

I mean its just two 35 drive trays, that slide out and you can hot swap the drives. It has been replaced by the MDS6000 which doubles the throughput.

If you can imagine RE4 4TB SAS drives, and perhaps DAS SSD for read-only caching, or ZFS storage tiering you could do amazing things with this large storage.

One option may be to zone SATA in 35 and SAS in 35. I certainly have 50 SAS drives, and its expensive to find a solid hot-swap home for them

Thatguy

Dec 30, 2012
Shipping: $341.55 UPS Worldwide Saver | See details

I think these guys are high, or UPS is broken. I accidentally sent a 113 lb 4U across Canada for $401, By air.