EU Rackable NM46X 12-LFF chassis 60€ BO

fl0w

Oct 28, 2015
Paris
Sorry for reviving this thread. I'm trying to get the roamer board working, but I'm unable to access to the roamer menu. I get the host console redirection, but when I press Ctrl-6 nothing happens. Anyone has succesfully accessed to the roamer menu? I'd like to access to the menu to allow host to control LCD display.
I guess cabling is done properly as I'm able to control host OS from the RJ45 serial port.

Reactions: hmartin

fl0w

Oct 28, 2015
Paris
By the way, I finally managed to put a good watercooling solution to cool an Intel Xeon D CPU (motherboard is a Supermicro X10SDV-4C-7TP4F). Originally it was an AIO watercooling taken from an old Alienware Area 51 computer, I found the kit on eBay but the loop was half filled with air and the pump was nearly dead. I replaced the pump with a new one and the tubing with some Tygon R3400. For the moment CPU temp is around 35/36°C, I'm waiting for the hard drives to warm a bit, I'll post the real temperatures.

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
Very nice! Certainly much more professional than the hack job I did on mine. I crafted a duct out of cardboard to take air from the 1U passive heat sink I have on the CPU:

The CPU idle temperature is barely above ambient, and since this is idle 99% of the time, that's good enough for me:

With three Arctic F8 PWM CO fans (BMC controlled at 1400RPM) plus the TFX 80mm fan, it is nearly silent.

Reactions: nedimzukic2

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
Do you use the motherboard and CPUs that came originally with the case?
Nope, that thing was a screaming space heater. The motherboard is from a Fujitsu TX140 S2 with an additional ASM1166 SATA controller.

Reactions: fl0w

DieBlub

Dec 11, 2017
Hi, what kind of HBA would be a good cheap option for this box? I was also thinking of getting a Gigabyte GA-C1037UN with an Celeron 1037U and some cheapo DDr3 for it. Does that sound good?

fl0w

Oct 28, 2015
Paris
Hi, what kind of HBA would be a good cheap option for this box? I was also thinking of getting a Gigabyte GA-C1037UN with an Celeron 1037U and some cheapo DDr3 for it. Does that sound good?
A mobo with a PCI slot? Forget about it. The main issue with these mobos will be the cooling of the CPU.

DieBlub

Dec 11, 2017
A mobo with a PCI slot? Forget about it. The main issue with these mobos will be the cooling of the CPU.
You are right, sorry I must have overlooked that. I thought it was PCIE. I'mma think about something else.

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
If you are concerned about the motherboard fitting, why not just convert it to use as a DAS (as mentioned in reply #36)?

You are right, sorry I must have overlooked that. I thought it was PCIE. I'mma think about something else.
Socket 1155/1150 motherboards are dirt cheap and so are Xeons for these sockets. I don't know why you'd look at any consumer motherboard when you can have a workstation/server grade motherboard & CPU for under 50€ (shameless self-plug)

Last edited:
Reactions: nedimzukic2

fl0w

Oct 28, 2015
Paris
I'm gonna remove the Roamer board from the case. I ordered this OLED USB display to give it a try:
And I will rewire the front RJ45 serial port directly to the motherboard, same for the power/HDD LEDs and the power button, I ordered this kit:
I will post some pictures when it will be done :)