Rack mount options for X9SPV-LN4F-3QE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cape

Oct 28, 2015
So, I have a X9SPV-LN4F-3QE which has been residing in a micro-tower-isch case for a few years, which I'm looking to put into my rack/cabinet. Due to the cabinet being very shallow (260mm/~10.2 in), I'm looking for a front i/o case.
SuperMicro have a few - for example the 505-203B and 503L-200B. However, they both have fixed i/o plates, and I'm not sure if my motherboard will fit in either of them? I've also read that the pcie opening does not fit for normal mini-itx cards without a special riser, any truth to that?

Any other suggestions? I need to fit the MB and a half-height pcie card (LSI 9200-8e) and at least two 2.5" disks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have a small fleet of around 18x 505-203B and 504-203B chassis and they are my go-to mITX 1U rackmounts. (505 is front I/O.)

Where you are going to run into trouble is that while the case is front I/O it has a rear power plug. The case is 9.8" and so you only have 0.4" for the power cable. You may need to shop around to get one that works in that small of space but larger cables will not fit.

And I run without I/O plates all the time :-/ 2-4 screws to remove IIRC.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I've also read that the pcie opening does not fit for normal mini-itx cards without a special riser, any truth to that?
You'll need a pci-e riser for any add in cards you want to use. The RSC-RR1U-E8 is the standard Supermicro riser that comes with complete systems using most of the chassis mentioned, along with the MCP-120-00063-0N bracket. You don't have to have the bracket, but it will make the riser more stable.

Cape

Oct 28, 2015
And I run without I/O plates all the time :-/ 2-4 screws to remove IIRC.
Oh, the I/O plate is removable on these? It looked like it is a part of the chassis itself, but SM only publishes such low-res images on their site that it's not very clear. That's very nice to know!

You'll need a pci-e riser for any add in cards you want to use. The RSC-RR1U-E8 is the standard Supermicro riser that comes with complete systems using most of the chassis mentioned, along with the MCP-120-00063-0N bracket. You don't have to have the bracket, but it will make the riser more stable.
Thanks, that's valuable info to have! :)

Now, I'll just have to find one sold with reasonable shipping... Amazon charges 100 USD for shipping to Sweden, which feels a bit steep for a 117 USD item. Why aren't there any "stick it on a boat and let it take a few weeks"-options? :(

EDIT: Hah, adding the riser and bracket, the price is $180.27, plus $198.40 for shipping. Apparently the shipping is what I should really be enjoying!

Cape

Oct 28, 2015
@Aestr Got the parts today - but I can't figure out how to mount the MCP-120-00063-0N? From what I can tell, the front mounting needs to go under a motherboard mounting hole? Is this correct? And if so, shouldn't there be some insulation there?

Also, for any googlers finding their way here, the X9SPV-LN4F-3QE matches the I/O cutouts for the 505-203B perfectly!