R86s Router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Good news - found a 1Gbe GBIC on e-bay which works like a charm! Device seems to be purring along as OPNSense running under Proxmox - no issues so far ;)

MrTeeJay

Feb 19, 2019
Most 1Gbe generic (Modules not paired with a particular brands) SFP should work; as the Mellonix card connects to the SFP module at either 1Gbe or 10Gbe. That Why only some modules will allow 2.5Gbe and 5Gbe negotiation

etnica

Dec 7, 2022
What throughput do ppl get on this device with dusal sfp+ on a single stream? Without ids/ips/vpn/... only NAT/firewall.

I have 10gigabit WAN at home, wondering if this device would be usefull to get?

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Looks interesting for its ports though I've become disenchanted with USB-PD for power recently. Beyond occasionally compatibility issues between the power source and the device, I've concluded that barrel connectors have better longevity especially in lab situations where you may be unplugging and replugging DC power.

Nov 13, 2022
Looks interesting for its ports though I've become disenchanted with USB-PD for power recently. Beyond occasionally compatibility issues between the power source and the device, I've concluded that barrel connectors have better longevity especially in lab situations where you may be unplugging and replugging DC power.
1. I am more likely to be carrying a USB_PD power supply with me already if I am traveling.
2. VERY easy to get reputable / to spec USB-PD powers supplies these days, maybe even have one kicking around

Of note a lot of the AliExpress firewalls STH recently reviewed they did power supply tests as some where kinda suspect, and on top of that bulky.

I don't disagree with you on durability however.

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
I bought a Lenovo Yoga laptop a few years ago that is powered off USB-C. A couple of years in, the power began to be flaky which I traced to a loose USB-C connection. I got a new Lenovo OEM power brick and, about 18 months in, it too is beginning to show the same symptoms. (I can feel the mated connector moving a little bit).

I'm a long term Lenovo Thinkpad user (since the IBM Thinkpad R60) and have never had one of the cylindrical or rectangular power supplies flake out this way so I'm wondering if USB-C is not the greatest power connector for a laptop application. Of course this could be a Lenovo specific problem with poor internals in the connector or inadequate strain relief or something!

Regarding 3rd party USB PD power supplies, I've been very happy with Baseus.

Nov 13, 2022
I bought a Lenovo Yoga laptop a few years ago that is powered off USB-C. A couple of years in, the power began to be flaky which I traced to a loose USB-C connection. I got a new Lenovo OEM power brick and, about 18 months in, it too is beginning to show the same symptoms. (I can feel the mated connector moving a little bit).

I'm a long term Lenovo Thinkpad user (since the IBM Thinkpad R60) and have never had one of the cylindrical or rectangular power supplies flake out this way so I'm wondering if USB-C is not the greatest power connector for a laptop application. Of course this could be a Lenovo specific problem with poor internals in the connector or inadequate strain relief or something!

Regarding 3rd party USB PD power supplies, I've been very happy with Baseus.

FLIP side anecdote the barrel plug on my sons MSI laptop had the center pop out within the first 3 months of owning it.. MSI didn't ask any questions and fixed it right away... Looking online it is apparently common on that model.

A crappy quality plug is still a crappy quality plug.

For a device like this I don't expect it to go through many plug/unplug cycles and it will probably be sitting stable on a flat surface while plugged in with no tension on the cable.. Unlike a laptop on a lap..

Reactions: unmesh

tibbe

Mar 17, 2022
I just got my unit. Is there a “Restore on AC/Power Loss” feature in bios? I wasn't able to find one after clicking through every menu.

tibbe

Mar 17, 2022
I just got my unit. Is there a “Restore on AC/Power Loss” feature in bios? I wasn't able to find one after clicking through every menu.
Got a reply from David at GoWin: "we will add the “Restore on AC/Power Loss” to it,and also we are think about Battery/UPS solution for this item".

So I guess no automatic restart on AC/Power Loss right now but perhaps in the future.

JaxJiang

Jan 10, 2023
Restore on AC/Power Loss. There is a little tiny switch next to fan socket. This is hardware function switch for this.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
The 32GB memory R86S -G4 (10Gbe) and -P4 (no 10Gbe) variants have been released.

A 5G version with battery module version is also still in the works - I don't know if this will be a 32GB or 16GB memory device though I suspect it will be 16GB due to battery load.

Anyone have thoughts on a good WiFi module that can act in AP mode?