R720XD H710 mini without raid

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020
I hope doesn't sound like a stupid question. The H710 mini in my R720XD has not been flashed to IT mode. While I am waiting for payday to order one that has, I have a question. With the H710 mini not in IT mode, can I still use my drives separately without being in raid?
If it helps, I will be installing windows server 2019 (will not be using hyper-v) on bare metal.

Mwilliamson

Aug 15, 2020
Fenton, Michigan, USA
Windows will not see the drives without them being in an array if you do not flash the H710 to IT/HBA mode. That being said, you can put each drive in an individual RAID 0, and then Windows will quite happily see the drives; though as the 720XD can support quite a number of drives, setting up that many individual arrays might become a little tiresome and unwieldy, and the time you spent doing that would exceed just flashing the H710.

The process to reflash the H710 is well documented in another thread here on the forum, and is fairly painless; below is a link to @fohdeesha excellent guide.

Introduction - Fohdeesha Docs

Reactions: rdsii64