r620(10bay) satadom?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rocxxr

Mar 31, 2018
Anyone know if a satadom will fit/work in a Dell R620(does the internal sata connector even supply power)? Gonna PCI Passthrough the HBA so I need something external to use for a vm if anyone has other suggestions. Otherwise it Kinda looks like USB.

This is what i was looking at: Innodisk SATADOM-ML 3SE Series 64GB w/4-Pin Connector Dell P/N 00T4M4 Brand New Innodisk SATADOM-ML 3SE Series 64GB w/4-Pin Connector Dell P/N 00T4M4 818240049372 | eBay 64gb is prob overkill though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------Update-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Satadom
SD card module(if r620 has no other slot for it?)
sata adapter to 2.5 drive (warning: am told most internal usb/sd slots are wired to 2.0 controller so 2.5" ssd might be a bit overkill or oversaturated?)
Weird hba/raid controller hack

Last edited:

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I took a close look at my R620 and there's no simple, plug it in and go solution.

But, I can think of a couple ways to do this. I've tried none of them though, so I can't say which will work.

1 SATA DOM: There's no SATA port on the motherboard for a DOM. There is a SATA port (near the internal USB connector) for the optical drive cable. You could probably plug a DOM in there, but the adjacent power connector (again for the optical drive) doesn't match, so you you'd have to rig something up I have, when testing drives, connected an SSD to the Optical Drive cables on the optical drive end (using a Slim SATA 7 pin power to SATA 15 pin power adapter) so I know you can run something other than the Optical drive off that SATA connection.

2. I don't have one myself, but there's a dual SD Card module option (Dell 6YFN5). Not sure if that's any better than USB, and I don't know if there's any limitations, but its another option:

Dell 6YFN5 Dual SD card module reader R620 R720 R520 R420

3. My R620 has a MiniPerc H710 card installed and connected to the backplane. So, the onboard S110 SATA controller isn't being used. I've read on the internet that some folks have discovered that the S110 remains active with a MiniPerc installed and some have installed a breakout cable to connect to SATA drives tucked away in the chassis or to an external disk chassis. Again though, you'd need to find a way to power them.

Rocxxr

Mar 31, 2018
Some of these other options sound complicated, not even sure i understood 3.

SD card module + sd card look expensive vs a usb drive but it would be interesting to know how it compaires against other options(also the sizes are quite small, the cheapest are like 1-16gb for $30-40).

Are you sure the SATADOM wont work in the back toward the internal usb. I c a sata (1)(are you saying this is the 7 pin sata that also supplies power?) and 4 pin power connecter(2).
r620back.jpg

Last edited:

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Ahh. I see the disconnect. You have the 10 bay model. My mistake. Sorry.

Bottom line is, Yes I've run an SSD off that connector. But I have a 4 bay model, so I can't say that port is active on a 10 bay model.

On the 4 bay (mine) and 8 bay, there's an optical drive installed in the front bezel instead of just disk trays. The connector you labeled #1 is for the Optical drive SATA Cable on the 4 & 8 bay models. So, my first comment above is regarding that connector, and the answer is Yes, I've run an SSD off that connector. Its just that mine had a cable that ran from that connector to the front of the chassis and I found it easier to connect an SSD up to that end of that cable and tuck it in the front of the chassis. What I don't know of course is if this port is disabled for some reason on the 10 bay model.

The 4 pin connector labeled #2 in your picture is for the Opttical Drive power cable. What I was trying to say above is that I don't think the power connector on that DOM you linked to is a match for this connector, so you'd have to rig something up to plug it in there.

Connector #3 is a backplane signal connector, and its not connected to anything on mine either.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Okay, I looked up some pictures with different angles on the DOM part number you linked to, and I think that power connector may very well fit without modification. I checked the connector picture against the power cable in mine, and the red and black wires are in the right spot in relation to the retention clip.

Great find! I might have to get one myself.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Leeme find my ebay order, i bought some sata doms and used the 4 square pin (#2) to power them on my r730s For nutanix. its the same thing for the 620 (assuming there is clearance)

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
@Markess I'm in IT at a monitoring company, so you name it we have it and I get to figure out how to configure it so our devs can test against it ~ nutanix, nimble, netapp, compellant, VNX, juniper, , fortinet, cisco, HPE, Dell, supermicro, if a customer uses it we have it to test against.

These are the ones I bought, they're parts matching for the R730s, looks like its pretty much the same as the one you linked just a "newer" part number of the same model.

I had to unplug the CD drive on my servers to power them looks like yours has the 4 pin free since you have the 10 slot vs 8 slot + cd.

Reactions: Rocxxr and Markess