R320 with H330/730 MM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ianmcginley

Jun 7, 2020
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster.
I’ve got a few r320 which are perfectly setup for my need but I want to upgrade to centos8 as my base OS. However they are equipped with H310 mini mono cards. Doing a boot test off USB for centos8 proves that they cannot be seen by os.
So to keep my majority investment an H330 mini mono is available cheap off eBay which would keep my investment trucking forward.

but before I do, any reason these wouldn’t work in a r320? I get the pci revision is different. And I may have to change out the cables for something that fits different connectors for SAS3. But the sas2 backplane and drives should work just fine.

Thoughts?

elag

Dec 1, 2018
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster.
I’ve got a few r320 which are perfectly setup for my need but I want to upgrade to centos8 as my base OS. However they are equipped with H310 mini mono cards. Doing a boot test off USB for centos8 proves that they cannot be seen by os.
So to keep my majority investment an H330 mini mono is available cheap off eBay which would keep my investment trucking forward.

but before I do, any reason these wouldn’t work in a r320? I get the pci revision is different. And I may have to change out the cables for something that fits different connectors for SAS3. But the sas2 backplane and drives should work just fine.

Thoughts?
elrepo.org has most if not all deprecated drivers. If you know the name of the kernel driver you need, check if they have that driver for C8... So probably there is no need to replace the H310

Ianmcginley

Jun 7, 2020
elrepo.org has most if not all deprecated drivers. If you know the name of the kernel driver you need, check if they have that driver for C8... So probably there is no need to replace the H310
I should have written that I realise elrepo is an option. They have a driver yes.

And I didn’t write my full situation that I’m potentially looking to upgrade to a cached MM controller H7x0. So compatibility of H730 MM would fix two birds with one stone.

so while I have options. I’m curious about this situation.

Ianmcginley

Jun 7, 2020
So the answer is no. The mainboard interface for the mini monolithic cards is different between 12G and 13G servers.