Quietest Inexpensive QSFP+ (or units that allow DIY tasks to become quiet)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TrumanHW, Oct 27, 2018.

1. TrumanHW

TrumanHW New Member

I am a noob. I know... But wow. The Quanta SFP+ routers are kinda loud -- but the IBM QSFP+ just sounds mad. Is there any way to buy replacement fans to quiet these down? Are there quiet QSFP+ switches I'm fine with 4 - 6 QSFP+ ports and the remainder SFP+...

I feel like there's a chance that [that's] the VERY THING that makes them expensive. The dB are a product of heat, the heat is how efficient, and they probably get more efficient as they get newer, and newer are more expensive.

Anyway, any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

The reverse kind of.
    SFP+ is 1.5w per port or so and copper rj45 5-6w per port at 10g speeds.
    So technically it’s easier to make a fanless SFP+ switch than 10g copper.
    Of course most datacenter switches have a lot of cpu power for layer3 and other functions so fans...

3. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

Don't forget the asics processing all the ethernetframes and ip packets :p

Patrick likes this.
  4. TrumanHW

TrumanHW New Member

Well, for someone like me who's exclusive objective is sharing information locally, quickly - I could probably disable 90% of the features.

Most of all though, I'd just like to know if there're inexpensive generation equipment that has QSFP+ which would allow me to even CHANGE the fans in the way the LBM6 allows for Noctura ... which seems to make it very quiet.

Also - what is an "uplink" port?? Is this different than a "high speed port" in a switch that is majority lower speed ports? Can I not use those to connect to fast devices?

Thanks!

5. spali

spali New Member

Not an network expert, but from my experience, in general yes. But some switches have special constraints on these, especially in the SMB world. I.e. the 1Gbit switches from Cisco SMB series has uplink ports which support 5Gbit, but only for stacking with a switch with the same serie, otherwise it's a 1Gbit SFP port. So in my experience just look twice the specs of the "uplink" ports :)