Quiet-speed ... switches with a few QSFP ports with DIY Noctua replacement fans?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
Any 10GbE SFP+ switches with ~6x 40GbE QSFP+ ports ... in which "DIY tutorials" on quieting how angry they sound?

Are there any model-SFP28 switches that aren't exorbitant? Or am I better of making my own?

I already have gear that'll out-pace 10GbE ... and expect NVMe Arrays to be affordable within 2 - 3 years.

Thanks.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
I've been looking into replacement fans that are drop-in replacements. So far what I've found that supposedly works with old HPE switches are the Sunon F99042 and F4509F.

The required fans are 12V 40x40x20mm and have the same 3 leads and same connector as a PC case fan, but the wires are in a different order (unfortunately I didn't take a picture when I did this modification last).

I replaced the fans in my D-Link DGS-3427 with some Noctuna nf-a4x20 fans but I had to rewire them. I left off the 3rd wire and my switch won't monitor the fans (thinks they're not working).

Luckily it doesn't beep at me or anything. Seems to work fine even iperfing at 10Gb speeds between VM hosts. I left in the blower fan because I didn't have a replacement at the time, it's much quieter now so I haven't worried about it (although the blower fan was by far the loudest of all of them, but there was only 1 vs 4 of the 40mm fans...)

Let me know if you do this mod.